A Little Plant Maintenance

Our plants on the window ledge in the kitchen were looking a bit bedraggled, so I decided it was time for some maintenance.


I brought out the jade (left), a small orchid (center) and a rabbit fern and set about cleaning them up and combining them into one pot for a less cluttered look.


I started by cleaning and loosening the soil in the jade pot since that was the pot I intended to use to plant all three specimens.


Once the soil was cleared of any roots from plants that previously lived here, I amended it with a little Miracle Gro potting soil.  Then I added the orchid and the rabbit fern to the mix.


The rabbit fern needed a trim.  There was a little dead growth here and there.  These ferns can be particularly difficult to keep.  They are very fussy.  Usually after they have taken root they will be fine with little attention.  But getting past that transplantation period can be difficult.  You don't want to over-water and you don't want to under-water.  It is a very delicate balance and if you try several of them and do not have good luck with them lasting, you may want to try another plant in your indoor garden.  I like the look of them and I enjoy a challenge, so that is why I have them in my garden. But they are time consuming and finicky.


After a trim it was looking much better.  A little bit of brown here and there, but as it grows out that will fall off.  It is not a perfect world.  I try to make it a perfect world as much as I can, but I am realistic enough to know when certain things are beyond my control.


And here, back on the window ledge in the kitchen looking much better.  This beautiful blue glazed pot is a stunner.  I picked it up at Lowe's and when I got it home, I loved it even more than I did in the store.  If you have a planting pot that you really like, make an arrangement like this and place it in your house where you will enjoy it every day.  If you are just looking for some beautiful greenery in he home but do not have a planting pot of any significance to you, then use an ordinary clay pot of appropriate size.  I just happened to have both this time around.  Even a plain clay pot will look beautiful with a planting arrangement such as what we have done here.  Houseplants are beautiful all year round and they help improve the quality of the air inside your home.  A win-win for sure!

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig