The Tree, Part Two

The story continues.

On Tuesday morning, I received a call from John, the owner of Adirondack Tree Experts.  He informed me that he found a company with a crane large enough to remove the trees.  What a relief. We would need a 90 ton crane and he would hire it for the day.  One of the trees was slowly falling toward the house, so my only response was "when can they be here?"  He told me that he would clear his work schedule for the next day and send his crew out in the morning, along with the crane operator, to get these trees removed.  He sent me a revised contract for my signature which I promptly printed, signed and returned.  With that, we were ready to remove the trees.  Below is a pictorial of the days events from last Wednesday.


They arrived at 11:00 AM and found a location for the crane to set up.  Then they started extending the boom.


It was really something to watch these guys as they set up.  They worked together like a well oiled machine.  Everyone taking his part in the setup and prep for the removal of the tree.  The crane operator was able to maneuver in, around and under the power lines with the greatest of ease.  I was concerned that the power lines would pose a problem, but they did not.  Cheverly is a very old community and our power and utility lines still run above ground.


I thought it unsafe to stay in the house while they removed sections of the tree over the roof, so Baxter and I stayed at Dewey Street for the day.  I checked in on the progress a couple times.  The superintendent of the job told me that it would probably take 4 hours to completely remove the trees. But when I returned to check on the progress around 1:00 PM, they were loading the last of the trees into the truck and cleaning up.


A walk around to the back of the house revealed where the two trees previously stood.  Such a welcome sight to see them gone.  Not because I took any pleasure from taking them down, but relief knowing that Crest Avenue would not be destroyed from them falling onto the roof.  The trees were very diseased and had lived as long as they could.  I actually waited too long to address the problem.


I thought ahead on the morning of the tree removal and took a picture from the front of the house with the tree still in place.


And this is after.  The removal of the trees really does make a difference in the appearance of the property.  These trees were enormous.  They provided a great deal of shade in the back yard. However, I must say that I am rather enjoying having lots of sunlight back there.  Everything has taken on a new look and now we must set about redesigning the gardens in the back.  My head is full of ideas.



If you are in the MD, DC or VA greater metropolitan area, I highly recommend Adirondack Tree Experts.  These guys are friendly and knowledgeable and they will help you through what can be a stressful situation when or if you are faced with removing a tree or trees from your property.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig