Holiday Decor at The Watergate

On one of my lunch time walks this week, I made my way to the infamous Watergate building on Virginia Avenue, NW. The building had fallen into disrepair over the years. But the management company has been working very hard these past couple of years to make necessary repairs and upgrades and it is looking quite nice this year all decked out for Christmas. Take a look.


The main concourse of The Residences at The Watergate has seen many changes. Where once there was Saks Jandel now resides a very small branch of the D.C. Public Library. Not to be confused with Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks Jandel is independently owned by the Marx family of Washington. Their niche is high style and high fashion from well-known names like Valentino, Yves St. Laurent and Yohji Yamamoto. Their new location is 5510 Wisconsin Avenue, NW in tony Chevy Chase, Maryland.


My walking tour started with this old-fashioned sleigh carefully positioned inside one of the many waterfall basins at the complex. This is an outdoor area but extensively covered, so there is no worry of the packages inside the sleigh being damaged due to weather.


On just the other side there were two more sleighs, each positioned inside waterfall basins. Such a clever idea.


Along one of the many walkways were hung these most attractive vertical wreaths. I was really impressed with the beauty of these wreaths. And a perfect fit for this location.



Here, a beautiful garland around one of the light poles in the outdoor seating area on the lower level. This area is filled with small round, wooden-topped tables that seat four. There is a deli and a Mediterranean restaurant on this level. It is a delightful place to pick up lunch on a sunny spring day and enjoy alfresco. I saw William Kennedy Smith in the Mediterranean restaurant on a recent visit.


Of all the decor, I was most impressed with these beautiful garlands along the handrails leading to the business office complex. These are really extraordinary. I stopped for a while to examine them because I would love to put together something similar for Crest Avenue.


And finally this photo of those same garlands leading to the office complex. They added two more of the vertical swags here which was just the right thing to do. I say the new management at The Watergate has it "goin' on!!" The buildings look as beautiful this year for the holidays as any year I can remember.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig