Desk Drawer Organization

The new year is upon us.  Now is the perfect time to get to work getting yourself organized and ready for a productive year.


I decided I would start off the year by organizing the drawer in the desk in my bedroom.  These little bamboo boxes seemed to be the perfect solution for this purpose.


These are from a line from Better Homes & Gardens.  They are very sturdy boxes.  There is a series of different sizes which can be interlocked, some sitting atop others.


The space in this drawer would not allow for stacking.  However, there was enough space for four of these boxes and enough space left over to store my laptop.  This drawer is actually a pull out keyboard holder.  But I do not use it as such.  My desktop computer is in another part of the house.  I use this desk with my laptop.


I chose the three inch by nine inch boxes.  These fit in the drawer perfectly.


There was one little problem.  The boxes did not stay in place inside the drawer.  Every time I would open or close the drawer, the boxes would move all over the place.  That would not do.  We essentially had the same problem as we had a few posts ago with the new flatware holders moving all about on the board.  In that instance we used little rubber bumpers on the bottoms of the ceramic holders and that solved the probably of them moving around.  But in this case, the little rubber bumpers would not work.  The bottom of each of these boxes is recessed to allow for clearance so they can slide back and forth if you are stacking.  Rubber bumpers would not protrude far enough from the recessed area to grab hold of the drawer bottom.  So we had to come up with another way to gain stability.


That is when we decided to use this gripping drawer liner from Contact brands.  This is their thickest cushioned grip Premium drawer liner.  It is generally used when a heavier application is needed, say for dishes, cookware or glass storage.  But I thought it perfect for this project.  This is a non-adhesive liner which can be cleaned with warm water and mild soap.


I measured the length of the drawer.  The width was fine.  This roll of liner went almost all the way to the back of the drawer, so I just cut it to fit the full length.


Here, our liner is in place and ready for the boxes to be added.


As you can see, they fit nicely in the drawer atop the liner.  And there is plenty of room for my laptop on the right-hand side.


One additional note - the cords you see in the box on the far left.  I'm sure you find yourself with a bevy of these cords, as I do.  These little velcro wraps are perfect for keeping them nice and neatly put away.  You can pick up the velcro wraps at Lowe's.


And finally, what every desk drawer needs - dental floss.  I simply cannot live without it.

I hope you find this helpful.  I picked up these boxes at Walmart for a very reasonable price.  Three dollars and change each.  Let's make 2017 the year we get everything organized.  Take this journey with me and let's see where we are at the end of the year.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig