Tom Ford buys Betsy Bloomingdale's Mansion in Holmby Hills

Last July, when we received news of the death of Betsy Bloomingdale, we were crushed.


Betsy was a style icon, not only in haute couture, but also in the design and decor of her mansion in tony Holmby Hills.  I will admit at Crest Avenue, when I am working on any project, I usually start with the question, "What would Betsy Bloomingdale do"?  And from there I get my inspiration.  That is how much of an impact she had and still has on my life.

Naturally I wondered what would happen with her home on Delfern Drive after her death.  Would her children keep it or put it on the market?  The latter turned out to be the case.  And not surprisingly. Times have changed.  Homes these days, grand or otherwise, are usually sold by the family members who remain.  My sources tell me that there were several bids made on the property but in the end, the winning bid was made by the eponymous Tom Ford.


I cannot think of a more perfect new resident in this beautiful estate than Tom Ford.  Clearly with this acquisition, the property will remain one of, if not THE, premier address in Holmby Hills.

The wonderful Betsy Bloomingdale and an elegant Tom Ford, the new owner.
An aerial view of the Bloomingdale, now Ford, estate just off of the Sunset Boulevard.  The pool and pool house are separated from the main house by a beautiful lush green lawn.  Betsy's rose and dahlia gardens to the right in this picture.


The main entrance.  Betsy and her husband, Alfred, the department store heir, worked with famed decorator Billy Haines to transform this 1929 Italian Villa into an ultra-luxe Hollywood Regency style in the 1950's.  The estate boasts 10,000 square feet, which includes a pool house, tennis court and plenty of space for entertaining.


Here, a shot of the pool house.  This is not your every day pool house.  This is as nice as many homes I have visited.  Not just a place to change out of your wet swimming trunks.


In honor of our dear Betsy, I bought this collection of dinner plate sized dahlias.  Those will be planted in a prominent, sun-filled space in one of the gardens at Crest Avenue and every year when they bloom, we will think of our dear friend.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig