Let's Take a Look Around the Garden

We have been extremely fortunate this spring to actually enjoy spring-like weather.  Temperatures have remained steady in the mid and upper seventies during the day.  And the evenings have been delightful and in the fifties and sixties.  The air conditioner at Crest Avenue has run very little so far this year.  We have windows open and the whole house fan on for the evening hours.  And we have had lots of rain.  All of this combined has made for healthy lawns and gardens.  Let's take a look.


First we'll start inside.  I picked up this beautiful single stem white phalaenopsis orchid at IKEA a few weeks ago.  It loves it on the mantel where it gets diffused morning light from the east.  These are very easy to maintain.  Simply water once per week with three ounces of warm tap water.  They will bloom forever.


Also on the mantel, I have to share one of my newest purchases from Home Goods.  I saw this clock and had to have it.  How could I resist?  Hollywood Regency design, which I adore.


Now, let's step outside.  The hydrangea are in bloom.  And they are just spectacular again this year.  I had thoughts of moving this hydrangea to the back yard early in the spring, but I am glad I decided not to do that.


It is quite healthy and happy in this spot in the front yard next to the driveway.  As you can see, there are several blooms already open and many more which will open in the coming days.  This truly is a specimen.


These lovely sherbet colored flowers are doing quite well on the front porch.  No deadheading is needed and that is just wonderful.  The spiky plant in the center is liriope.  They are perennial, so they come back bigger and better every year.  The annuals will eventually be removed and replaced with new annuals each season, but the liriope will be there forever.

A Eugenia plant (Eugenia myrtifolium, or Syzygium paniculatum) is a good choice for a topiary
because its small leaves and delicate branches respond well to training and shearing. 
Here is one of the Eugenia that I planted in the early spring.  You will remember that there were two of these on a clearance rack at Lowe's Garden Center.  I think they were each $14.95.  They were not very healthy when I bought them, but look at this one now.  Isn't it beautiful.  I used a brand of fertilizer that came in pellet form.  I cannot remember the name right now.  I just sprinkled it on top of the mulch and watered regularly.

This plant grows outdoors year-round in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10
and 11 but can also grow indoors in a container.
Here is the other Eugenia on the opposite side of the front entry.  This one had a few more issues, but as you can see it is coming along nicely.  There is lots of new growth.  These will both come inside for the winter months.  It gets much too cold here in the mid-Atlantic for these to winter outdoors.  We are in zone 7, so the cold is far too severe for these to survive.


Finally, the banana tree.  This gets larger every year.  I cannot wait to see the heights we reach this year.  I planted this on the east side of the house, so it gets lots of morning sun, which it seems to enjoy.  It also provides wonderful shade over the large picture window in the living room during the summer months which helps with the cooling expenses.  A great tropical look in the landscape and it helps keep the interior of the house cool.  That's what we call a "win-win".  And, conversely, in the winter it dies back to the ground which allows plenty of morning sunlight through the same window and helps bring radiant heat inside.

So that is a quick tour through the garden this morning.  We will take a look at the gardens in the rear of the property later this week.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig