Food and Flowers for Mother's Day

Continuing with our Mother's Day visit, we had a nice weekend visit with my mother and sister and her family.  I brought along a few goodies for the weekend.  Take a look.


First up were these delicious vanilla marshmallows from Dean & Deluca.  We have not made marshmallows here on At Home with John Newman.  But that may change in the coming weeks.  I would like to try to make them at home.  These were positively wonderful and a big hit, even with my mother.  I wasn't certain that she would have an interest in eating marshmallows, but she did.  I brought these mainly for the children, but everyone enjoyed them.


The next food item I brought was this beautifully decorated Gold Cake.


Here it is out of the box.  My mother thought this was quite beautiful and I must admit, it was very pretty.


A nice healthy slice for me on a china plate.  This was really delicious.  Just a plain gold cake with buttercream frosting.  Absolutely divine.  As our byline says, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. And this simple gold cake was just perfect.

I love this hot pink plate for my waffle.  I think waffles should only be served on hot pink plates.
On Saturday morning, we were graced by chef Gwen, my sister, and her Belgian waffle station.  I do not eat waffles very often.  They just are not on my daily food plan.  So this was a nice treat.


And and even better treat with butter and syrup.  I must say I enjoyed my waffle - singular, "waffle" - very much.  She can come to Crest Avenue anytime and make Belgian waffles.


My mother has reached an age where you don't know what to get her for birthday or Christmas -- or Mother's Day.  So a beautiful bouquet of white roses was what I decided on.


The flowers were stunning and not fully opened so hopefully she will enjoy them for at least this week.

A lovely evening on Friday, although Baxter and I were exhausted from fighting traffic for five hours. An even better day on Saturday.  And a quiet Saturday night before an early departure on Sunday morning back to Crest Avenue.  Happy Mother's Day, again, to my mother and all the mom's out there.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig