One Final Trip to my Childhood Home

During my visit with my mother last weekend in Richmond, we took a drive out to the family home in Orange, VA.  My mother lives with my sister and her family now and we decided a few months ago it was time to sell the house in Orange.  It was a difficult decision, but the right decision.  I took a few pictures of the surrounding country while I was walking around and I'd like to share those with you today.


In the tall, tall pines.  I remember when my father planted these pine trees.  They were itty bitty little wisps.  Just saplings.  And now they are at least forty feet high.


There have been some damaging winds over the past few years which have wrecked havoc on them. My mother moved in with my sister several years ago and rented the house for a few of those years. With no family member there on a regular basis, the house and grounds have fallen into disrepair, which was sad to see.


Here is a bird house that my father built many years ago.  I remember this in the back yard near the cherry tree.  A new family of birds of some description would move in every year.  I was always so intrigued with them.


He would lift the roof off every spring and clean it out and put down fresh straw or cedar chips for the new family.  I should have taken this with me.  I may go back before the closing date and pick this up and put it in my back yard.  I'm certain I will do that.


Just beyond the pine trees is this open field which houses several horses.  I particularly like this picture.  It almost looks like a postcard.


Here is another shot of the lot with one of the neighbors houses in the background.  We knew the people who lived in this house when I was young.  They long ago passed on.  I do not know the people who live there now.


I was trying to get a picture of these pine cones but it did not turn out quite as I expected.


And finally a picture of Little Burro who was out grazing on this sunny day.  He is in the lot to protect the horses.  And he does a very good job of it.  I remember taking Fletcher, my Bassett Hound for a visit many years ago.  He was intrigued by Little Burro and he went under the fence to take a closer look.  He quickly learned that Little Burro took his job very seriously when he gave Fletcher and little bite on his back.  That was enough for Fletcher to come back under the fence.

Selling the family home is never an easy thing to do.  But that is just the way things go.  We will let it go and cherish the memories we have of our years there.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig