A Quick Chicken Caesar Salad

It's Friday!  Which means very soon, it will be Friday evening.  You are tired.  It's been a long week. But ya' gotta have dinner.  Should you stop and pick up burgers or tacos or fried chicken or Chinese. Or maybe a pizza.  Yeah, you could.  But don't forget.  That appointment for a check up with your doctor is next month and the bathroom scales are not coming back with a number that is suitable for that visit.  Let me give you an idea for dinner tonight.

We are going to make a chicken Caesar salad that is quick and delicious and filling.  And you will be one meal closer to getting the bathroom scales to register a better number the next time you step on.


Here is our Chicken Caesar Salad kit.  Very simple.  And once you are done preparing your salad, you will ask yourself "why haven't I been making these salads?!"  They are that delicious and easy.


Start with 4-1/2 - 5 cups of iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped.  I remove a leaf from the lettuce head and cut it crosswise in about 3/4" widths.


Croutons.  You can make them, if you have that kind of time.  The store bought are just as good. Chose the flavor you want.  These are a generic garlic and herb Safeway brand crouton that are quite delicious.  One and a half cups croutons.


Chicken.  These are breaded chicken tenders, from Safeway also.  They come prepackaged in the deli department in the refrigerated section.


I used all three tenders for my salad which comes to about two cups of chicken, allowing for a taste or two for myself and the same amount for Baxter.  Just slice them in about one-half inch strips.


Parmesan cheese.  One-quarter cup Parmesan cheese of your liking.  I like the Kraft Shredded Parmesan for this.  You could use freshly grated or even shaved Parmesan.  Maybe you would prefer Parmesan and Romano cheese.  Make it yours.  Just keep it simple.  It's Friday night, ... remember.


We will start building our salad.  Into the bowl with the coarsely chopped lettuce.  On top of that, add the croutons.


Add the sliced chicken tenders.


Add the Parmesan.


Add the dressing.  You will see from the first picture I am using Marzetti's Supreme Caesar.  In my opinion this is the very best Caesar dressing I have ever had.  I honestly don't know if I could make a better Caesar dressing myself, and that's not something I normally say.  But I have to give credit where credit is due.


Give all of this a good stir and make sure the salad is completely dressed.


One last thing before serving is to add some lemon juice.  Cut a lemon in half and remove as many of the seeds as you can see from one half.  Use a teaspoon to remove the obvious seeds in the middle. Then, holding the cut side upward and with the stem end in the palm of your hand, hold the lemon half over the salad and lightly squeeze.  The lemon juice will run out over the rind of the lemon and into the bowl.  This way if there are any more seeds, you can see them and remove them with a spoon rather than letting them invite their way into your salad.  The juice of one-half of a lemon with do. Wrap the other half and use later in iced tea and vodka tonics on the weekend.


Here, our delectable salad with a good, hearty sprinkling of lemon juice, ready to serve.


Grab a plate and enjoy a serving of your delicious Chicken Caesar Salad.  This recipe will serve two hearty dinner salads for you and a friend or partner, or four small salads served, possibly, with a big bowl of steaming spaghetti and lightly toasted and buttered french baguette.

We have made this as a quick and delicious Friday night course.  If you wanted to serve this to guests, which would be divine, chill the plates in the freezer for a few minutes before placing.

I hope you will give this a try.  I made this one night recently and I know it did not take more than 10 minutes to assemble.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig