We Tried!

Not every experiment we try at Crest Avenue works.  Today I am going to share with you something that did not work but that we were able to turn around.

You will remember a few weeks ago I found nandina on sale at Lowe's Garden Center.  I bought three and planted them in planters on the deck railing.  They have done well.  Shortly afterward, I was back at Lowe's Garden Center and I found three pots which were planted with a variety of flowering annuals.  These were at greatly reduced prices because they were a little wilted.  I had every good thought they we could bring them back to life.

One of our finds at Lowe's Garden Center at 50% off.
Here is one of those pots.  I was certain they were not so far gone that, with a little care, I couldn't keep them going for the rest of the season.  But that was not to be.


This is how they ended up.


Not a pretty sight.


And most disappointing.  Sometimes you have to step out on a limb and take a chance.  That is what I did with these flowering planters.  At 50% off I thought it would be OK even if they did not last. And, they didn't.  Actually, ... you know what I think happened.  I think they got too much water.  It has rained and rained and rained here this summer.  I think the soil in these planters got waterlogged and it suffocated the roots.  I've never had this happen. So I decided it was time to move on.


I was at Home Depot looking for 40w mirrored silver globe bulbs for the bathroom fixture over the weekend (which they do not carry, by the way.  Neither does Lowe's.  You have to order them online at www.1000bulbs.com).  While there, I decided to make a quick run through their garden center and what did I find?  These beautiful vinca pots.  They were marked down from $3.98 to $2.98 per pot.  I bought six of them.


I decided to give the nandina planters the same treatment as before.  So I removed the dead plants and planted the vinca in their place.


I like these better than the multi-flower pots I got at 50% off.  They are really beautiful.  And I think we will not have the same issue with them dying as with the previous plantings.  You can see clearly in this picture that the nandina are doing great.  There is new growth on top of both of these.


FYI - Here is the plant tag that came with each pot.  We do not have a deer problem at Crest Avenue, but for those of you who do, this is a good plant to use in the landscape.  And these are drought tolerant.  All gardeners love any plant that is drought tolerant.


On the backside, some really good information.  Two things on this tag to point out and as affirmation of what I have shared with you in the past - (1) do not plant in standard topsoil; I always suggest to use a good quality potting mix such as Miracle-Gro or Sta-Green, and (2) loosen the plant's root base and place into the ground (or potting soil).

There is still some very good selection of annuals out there, even at this late date.  And at good prices. If your pots are looking a little worse for the wear, stop by and pick up some annuals to liven up things through the end of the season.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig