Trash Compactor Maintenance

We have a trash compactor at Crest Avenue.  This was one of the first things I installed when I bought the house in 2001.  The kitchen is small and there really is no room for a standard issue kitchen trash can. Plus, I am not a fan of seeing a trash can sitting in a kitchen.  It takes away from the aesthetic. No matter where I live, I will always have the kitchen refuse tucked away somewhere out of sight.


The appliances in the kitchen at Crest Avenue are black, so this worked perfectly.  It has been a real workhorse over the years.  And I have put it to the test.


Two types of bags are offered for this model from Sears.  Plastic, and these wax coated paper bags.  I opted for the paper bags and I have been pleased with that choice.  I have never used the plastic bags. The bags fit snugly in place.  The wax coating allows the compactor to move downward to compact the trash without tearing the bag.

I do not put glass or aluminum cans in the compactor.  Those are recycled and are place in another bin for pick up on recycle day.  I use the compactor for all other kitchen refuse except food scraps. Those go into this handy countertop composter.  The food scrap bags can be closed tightly and added to the composter bag on trash days.  I tried an outside composter several years ago.  That did not work.  It took way more time and energy than I was willing to expend.  Now I do countertop composting.

Back to the trash compactor  - These compactor deodorizing liquid canisters are available, but mostly only on Amazon.com these days.  I checked stock at Sears.com recently and they were not available for sale online.  I checked stock in Sears stores within 50 miles of my ZIP code and there was no availability.  In addition to their scarcity, the price has also gone up exponentially.  These were $9.99 at Sears stores.  They are $19.99 on Amazon.  Supply and demand at its best (or worst).


So, I decided it might be time to look at another way to keep the trash compactor smelling fresh and I found this product called Fresh Pod.


First, I think the design is superb.  Not that anyone other than myself will ever see this, but I will know I have a superbly designed air freshener in the compactor.


They come with these handy Command Strips on the back which makes placing them inside the compactor very easy.  You just peel off the adhesive backing and place the freshener and hold it there for about 30 seconds.


Here it is, centered in the inside back panel of the slide out door.  This placement means that this will be inside the chamber where the paper bag resides with the trash.  How refreshing when you open it now to not be met with noxious odors.  I am very pleased with this air freshener.  I am rather certain that this will be my new tactic for keeping the bin smelling clean since I do not intend to continue paying $19.99 for cans of compactor deodorizing liquid.  The Fresh Pod air fresheners can easily be used in any trash receptacle.  So if you do not have a trash compactor, you could still pick up some of these for other lidded trash cans.  You will find them in the household cleaning department at your local Target store.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig