A Little Maintenance on the Eugenia

We planted two beautiful Eugenia plants in the planters at the front door in the spring.  They have done quite well in this location, but I noticed one day last week that one of them was looking a bit droopy and had some dead wood.  So I thought it time to do a little maintenance.  Take a look.


You see here that a small portion of the interior of the plant was clearly dead.  This needed to be removed right away.  When you see dead wood like this on any plant, cut it away as soon as possible. It will only cause further problems if left in place.


These little orangey/red snippers worked perfectly for this task.  The branches on Eugenia are quite small, so you really need nothing larger than these to get the work done.


I first went through and removed all the dead branches and leaf petals.  Once that was done, I needed to prune the plant to give it a nice and clean look.


And this was the final result.  Actually, the pruning was long overdo.  Both of these grew like crazy once warm weather arrived.  We have had tons of rain, plus I have been vigilant about watering.  I also added a time-released fertilizer to the soil in the spring which helped tremendously. These will need to be brought inside for the winter months.  Eugenia will not winter outside in Zone seven.

Beautiful Eugenia topiary at the front entrance.  You cannot go wrong with this look.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig