Casablanca Lilies in a Vase

I love lilies.  They are wonderful in vases.  I like to keep cut flowers in the apartment at all times.  As most of you know, I am a big fan of alstromeria, which are also called Peruvian lilies.  Recently I decided to change things up a bit and do an arrangement of Casablanca lilies.  You have all seen these beautiful white lilies at special events or in arrangements from your favorite floral shop.  I wanted a vase of just Casablanca white lilies.  So here's what I did to get the look I wanted.


I found these lilies in the floral department at my local Safeway.  As we have discussed previously, the floral departments at the large chain grocery stores have quite an extensive selection of freshly cut flowers these days.  These were still closed and that was what I wanted.  I also picked up a fresh bundle of fern to use in the vase to fill in any open spaces between the lilies.


Here is the arrangements I put together.  You see better here that there are several buds which are still closed and a couple that are starting to open.  The lilies alone in this vase would have been rather sparse and not a good look.  I added in a little of the fern here and there to fill in and give some depth to the arrangement.  I am not a floral designer and do not claim in any way to be an expert in that field, but I thought this arrangement turned out pretty good.  This is situated on the hall table at the end of the entry hall into the apartment which is a very nice look.  It is the first thing you see when you enter and especially nice if you have guests.


Some days later, our lilies were in full bloom and exquisite.  I really did not need to fuss with the arrangement at all.  The original placement worked just perfectly when they bloomed.  All that was to be done was to watch the water level and make sure that there was plenty of fresh water in the vase at all times.  I did not remove the lilies from the vase and rinse the vase and add fresh water.  I simply added more water as needed.  Casablanca lilies should not be touched.  To remove them and manipulate them would have only lead to their early demise, so I just topped off the water.


I was quite pleased with how long these lilies survived.  They lasted for nearly two weeks and they filled the apartment with the most luxurious scent.  Will I have lilies in a vase again in the near future.  The answer is simple.  Yes.  And you should in your home too. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig