Fluffy Ruffle Fern Update

The Fluffy Ruffle fern is doing well.  I first posted about this fern back in January and at that time I called it a "Ruffle Fuffle" fern.  "Ruffle Fuffle."  "Fluffy Ruffle."  You get the idea.  It is a cute fern that works well as a houseplant.  I like it particularly because of the shape.  The shape is different from other houseplants, even other ferns.  I repotted it, again, and it is really happy in its new pot.


I decided to remove the "FR" fern from this temporary bonsai pot.  I have several of these pots which work well as transition pots between the pot the plant comes in and its final home.


I will clean this and keep it stored for future plantings.


I like the location of this fern on the corner of my desk, so it will return there in the new pot.


I found this very nice white, ceramic pot at Lowe's Garden Center.  Very clean lines.  I knew this would work well in the decor.


As usual, a layer of brown kraft paper is put down before we start any gardening project.  It just makes things so much easier when it is time to clean up.  You see here that I actually have two root balls.  I removed each separately from the Bonsai pot and then set about transplanting them to the new white, ceramic pot.  Same routine as always.  Fill the new pot with a good quality potting soil which is always Miracle-Gro™ in my houseplants.  Some small river rocks or pea gravel in the bottom of the pot first, then the soil and then arrange your plants to your liking.


This was my final arrangement.  I love how this fern cascades over the side of the pot.  It sort of reminds me of some of the Bonsai forms that I have seen.  This spot on my desk is next to a north-facing window which this plant loves.


Another view from the top shows better how the two root balls were placed in the pot.  The larger one cascades over the side while the smaller one fills in the pot nicely.  It is a very full look.  One root ball in this pot would be very sparse and not very attractive.


And one final view of the fern flowing over the top and down the side of the pot.  These white pots with the coir-like finish on the bottle are quite nice.  I bought two of this size which is six inches across.  I bought another one rather resembling a milk jug with two small handles which holds the Christmas cactus.


Here is a better look at the straight-sided pot.


Here is the large one that resembles a milk jug.  It has the same coir-like finish on the bottom.  The bottoms are porcelain made to resemble coir.


Finally, when we were done, here was the kraft paper with all of the over-spill.  Very easy to clean up.  Just fold it all up and throw it away or sprinkle it on top of another planter or in the garden.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig