Preparing Filet Mignon

I had not planned on posting about filet mignon.  I took these pictures to share with some friends while I was preparing dinner one night recently.  They turned out so well, I thought I would share them with you.


To start, I chose this package of two applewood smoked, bacon-wrapped filets on a recent stop at Safeway.  I had not had filet mignon for a while and when I saw these, I thought it was time to enjoy this delicacy again.  The package contained two filets, each weighing five ounces.



Most any recipe you find online will not suggest you marinade your filet mignon before cooking, but as you already know as a regular reader of AHWJN, we do not always follow tradition.  I decided thirty minutes in the refrigerator in this most delicious steak & chop marinade from Lawry was in order.  I just dropped the two filets in a Ziploc bag with about a cup of marinade and placed them in the refrigerator.


The actual cooking time and process for filet mignon could not be easier.  First, heat your oven to 400 degrees.  We will finish these office in the oven.  Place your pan on the cook-top and heat it on high so that is is searing hot before placing in the filets.  Remove your filets from the marinade and discard the leftover marinade.  Place the filets in the hot pan and sear for five minutes, two-and-a-half minutes on each side.  I used a high-sided nonstick calphalon pan for this.  Most times it will be suggested that you use a cast iron pan, and you can, but I find a nonstick pan works just as well and it is easier to clean.



At the end of cooking on the opposite side of each filet, I turned off the heat and added about one tablespoon of ghee on top of each and let that drizzle down through the meat and over the side.


Place the filets in the 400 degree oven and bake for five minutes.  Do not broil them.  Just in the oven at 400 degrees for five minutes.  You see here that they are lightly seared from the cook-top.  I lined a baking sheet with foil for this part, which makes for very easy clean up.  I also used my Tovalo Steam oven, but I did not use the steam feature for these.  I like to use this countertop oven over my conventional oven for baking, especially during the warm months of the year.  It does not heat up the kitchen like my regular oven, but use what works best for you.

Use a meat thermometer to make sure these are at the right temperature.  You will want to reach a core temperature of at least 155 degrees.  I would say anywhere between 155 - 160 degrees will give you the perfectly cooked medium well filet.

Five minutes later I had the most beautiful - and I must say - the most delicious filet mignons.

These are so incredibly easy to make and they are just wonderful with a cold green salad.  (If you serve a green salad with these, chill the plates and salad forks in the freezer for a few minutes before serving.  That adds a special touch.)  One strong suggestion.  Let these sit before serving.  Do not serve them straight from the oven.  Let them sit and cool down a bit.  You could cover them and let them sit for as long as thirty minutes.  Then serve with your green salad and a favorite potato recipe and you will have a divine dinner.  Would we serve these to company?  The answer is a resounding, "yes!"

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig