Quick & Delicious Potato Salad

I have a most delicious recipe for you today.  It is a twist on the standard potato salad recipe I'm sure many of you have made over the years.  It can be put together very quickly and I think you will really enjoy the flavor and the quickness with which this can be assembled.  So let's go.


The first thing we are going to do is hard boil at least six large eggs for the garnish.  I cooked seven for this recipe and blog post because I like to present this dish with the entire top covered in hard boiled eggs.  Six or seven, it doesn't matter.  If you cook seven and you only need six to garnish the top, slice the seventh one and enjoy a treat while in the kitchen.

I use an egg cooker.  I stopped hard cooking eggs in water on the stovetop many years ago.  It was just disastrous every time.  The shell always stuck to the egg and I would end up with eggs with large pieces of the egg white missing.  It was a mess and very frustrating.  I bought an egg cooker and from the very first time I used it, my hard cooked eggs have turned out perfectly, shells remove cleanly and happiness has been returned to my kitchen.  So I am not even going to give you a recipe for cooking eggs on the stovetop.  Go buy an egg cooker if you don't already have one.  Also, I know we all have friends and family who mean well and want to give advice on how to cook eggs on the stovetop - add vinegar to the water or use eggs that are not too fresh - forget it.  None of that works when you cook eggs in water on the stovetop.


Once the eggs are fully cooked, remove them from the cooker and place them into a bowl with iced water.  Make sure the eggs are completely covered.  This stops them from cooking any further.  Eggs that have been overcooked in the shell will have that unpleasant dark ring around the yolk.  You do not want that.  Cool the eggs in the ice water for about 20 minutes, then drain the water and place the cooked eggs in an airtight container and into the refrigerator.


Next, let's chop one cup of celery and one-half cup spring onions.  I like the celery "small diced" for potato salad, so I slice the stalk in half, then each half in half again.  So each stalk is cut into quarters.  Of course rinse the celery and cut off the fibrous ends at the bottom of each stalk.  You want the celery "hearts" in your salad.  Remember, small dice.  The spring onions should be rinsed thoroughly and dried with paper towels and then just sliced in about one-eighth inch slices.  Include some of the green of each onion.  I include the green until you reach the point where the onion stalk splits.  Anything above that is usually rather bitter.


Let's get the dressing done.  Into a large glass bowl you will combine one-and-one-half cups Dukes mayonnaise, one tablespoon cider vinegar, one tablespoon yellow mustard, one teaspoon salt and one-quarter teaspoon white pepper.


Whisk these ingredients thoroughly with a large metal whisk.  There is no need to dirty the electric hand mixer using the whisk attachment for this part of our prep.  A large hand whisk works just perfectly.  You do not need to refrigerate this for this recipe because we are reaching the "quick and easy" part.


And the quick and easy part is diced, canned potatoes.  The day that I made this potato salad I had not planned to do so.  Potato salad was not on my calendar that day.  I was looking for canned or jarred artichoke or hearts of palm, which I love and frequently eat in a bowl, right from the can.  In that same aisle I saw cans of diced potatoes and I thought, what a brilliant idea.  Why wouldn't these work for potato salad.  And they did.  Quite nicely.  What a time saver.  No washing and peeling and cutting up and cooking potatoes that may or may not turn out the consistency you want.  Sometimes they are too soft.  Sometimes they are too hard.  These canned potatoes are already cooked to perfection.  All you do it add them to the other ingredients I have listed and you've got potato salad in no time.  They are diced small which I was never able to do with previous potato salad recipes.  They are perfect.


For this recipe you will use two, 15 ounce cans of potatoes, thoroughly drained.  Drain them in a colander and then, using the sprayer attachment on your kitchen faucet, quickly rinse with cold water.  Just a few seconds under the water, then into a large glass bowl.


Pour the dressing over the potatoes.


Add the finely chopped celery and spring onion to the mixture.


Stir until everything is fully incorporated.  This is a very creamy potato salad.


One final ingredient to add to the mix is a can of Green Giant Steam Crisp Niblets.  Drain the can before adding to the potato mixture.  Stir thoroughly to incorporate the corn throughout the salad.

See, these eggs are perfectly hard cooked, but not overcooked.  No dark ring around the outside of the yolk.
Remove the hard cooked eggs from the refrigerator and use an egg slicer to perfectly slice each egg into the same sized slice.  Layer on the top of the potato salad.

Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 hours, or overnight if you like.

Give the eggs a generous sprinkle of paprika and you are set for the picnic.  I sprinkled a little black pepper on top just before serving.  The pepper just enhances the flavor.

I can assure you this will be a hit at any summer get together and you will have put it together in no time.  You will not have heated up your kitchen cooking potatoes over a hot flame.  You won't be all wilted and sweaty.  You can take a break and get ready for the party later on.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig