Bill Blass' Sour Cream Souffle

I was recently reading a book on entertaining published by a famous Beverly Hills socialite and in this book she shared a recipe for a sour cream souffle which was alleged to be a favorite of designer Bill Blass.  I was intrigued.  I have made many cheese souffles over the years using a variety of cheeses.  But a sour cream souffle?  Why had I not heard of this before?  I had to get in the kitchen right away.  So I gathered the ingredients and set about making a sour cream souffle.  Follow me through the steps.


So, let's gather our ingredients and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Set the rack at the lower middle level.  I will go through the quantities needed in each step.  I will also post this on the recipe page.


Spray a 2-quart souffle dish with nonstick spray.


Then coat it with grated Parmesan cheese.  The recipe calls for 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.  Coat the dish and then knock out the excess and reserve for later.


I started with 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.  This is what was left over after I coated the souffle dish. About 1/4 cup remains.


In a large mixing bowl, add 1-1/2 cups sour cream.


Add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to the sour cream.


Whip the sour cream and flour together with a whisk or electric mixer using the whisk attachment.  I used the electric mixer with the whisk attachment.  It is so much easier.  If you do not own a good quality hand mixer with whisk attachments, get one today.  They are wonderful.  I use mine for everything.  I never use the stand mixer.


Add the eggs, one at a time.  You will need five large egg yolks.  Be sure to just use the yolks.  You will save the whites for later.  Add the egg yolk and whisk it into the mixture.  Then the next.  Then the next until you have incorporated all five yolks into the sour cream and flour mixture.


This is what the mixture will look like at this point.


To the mixture we will add, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt.


Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.  (I used 1/4 since this was the first time making this.  It was not hot.  I could taste it, but it was not overwhelming.  I will likely stay with 1/4 teaspoon when I make it again.)


Add 2 tablespoons chopped chives.


And finally, add the remaining Parmesan cheese which was left over from coating the souffle dish.


Here are all of those ingredients added to our sour cream mixture.


Whisk them all together, and this is what your will have.


In a separate bowl, add your egg whites.  You need seven egg whites.  We only used 5 egg yolks, so you are going to lose two egg yolks along the way.  You could put them in a baggie and store them in the refrigerator for later use.  Let me tell you about that.  I've done it a hundred times over the years and I never use just the egg yolks for anything later.  They either get lost in the refrigerator or they get broken and make a mess in the bag.  I just toss them. It's your call.


I add two pinches of cream of tartar to my egg whites.


Here are the seven egg whites with the cream of tartar added.  Now we beat until they reach firm, shiny peaks.


The electric mixer with the whisk attachments beating the egg whites.  I feel I have more control over how the mixture is coming together with a hand mixer.  I can move the mixer around like I want.  I feel I get a better outcome every time using a hand mixer.  One word of advice.  If you decide to buy one, get a good one.  Pay a little extra and get one that is heavy duty.  You won't be sorry in the end. Mine is a Kitchen Tools by Black and Decker.  They are no longer available.  I have had it for many, many years.


Here are our egg whites, beaten until they reached firm, shiny peaks.  Gently fold the egg whites into the sour cream batter.  I find using a large hand held whisk helps.  You can pick up the egg white mixture in the whisk and then gently fold them into the batter until no streaks remain.


Pour gently into the Parmesan coated souffle dish.  This is an "artsy" picture of the batter.


Here is how it looks in real life.  Quite delicious looking, huh?  Place this into the preheated oven for about 35 minutes.


And, ... thirty-five minutes later, ... voila!!  This is what you will have.


A souffle you will be proud to serve to your guests.  I don't think this could have turned out any better if I had tried.  Just beautiful.  And delicious!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Let me share with you how I like to serve my souffles.


I like to offer hollandaise sauce for those who would like to add a bit.  You can make hollandaise yourself.  It is not terribly difficult to make, but a little time consuming.  I find that these hollandaise sauce mixes are quite delicious.  I use them frequently.


They are so simple to put together.  You add water to the pot and then the sauce mix and heat it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a low boil.  Remove it from the heat and continue to stir for a minute or two.  Then pour it into a beautiful serving dish and place it on the table with a large sterling silver spoon.


Here is what the hollandaise looks like when it is ready.  It takes minutes to get this ready.


Finally, our delicious sour cream souffle with warm hollandaise.  A beautiful dish that is not difficult to assemble.  Very elegant.  Dinner anyone?

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig