Pillsbury Crescent Rolls with a Twist

We had some things left in the refrigerator and pantry after Bev visited over Labor Day weekend.  I always buy more than we need when company is coming because I would rather have too much than not enough.  But there is never a need for anything to go to waste.  When company is gone, I take inventory of what is left and set about planning lunches and dinners from what we have in stock.  We had quite a bit leftover that we did not use during her stay, so I put it to good use this weekend.  This helped tremendously with the grocery bill.  We had so much left over that I spent very little on the weekly grocery run.  One of the things we had that we did not use were two cans of Pillsbury Crescent rolls.  I jazzed them up a little.  Take a look.


I bought this two pack of Pillsbury original crescent rolls thinking we would have them for dinner one night while Bev was visiting.  That did not happen, so I made them this weekend.


Out of the can and onto an ungreased baking sheet with both cans.  This looked kind of "blah" to me, so I decided we needed to add a little pizzazz.


One large egg in a bowl with one tablespoon of water.  Mix together thoroughly using a fork or a handheld whisk.


Apply egg mixture to the top of each roll using a pastry brush of your choosing.  I happen to really like these silicone brushes.  They do a superb job of gathering up the mixture and they are super easy to clean.  I always feel like the silicone brushes are thoroughly clean when I put them away.  I never feel that way about a regular pastry brush made of boar hair bristles.


After applying the egg mixture, top each roll with a sprinkling of poppy seeds, or the seed of your choice.  I over-applied the poppy seeds because I knew we would lose some along the way and also to allow for the rolls expanding during the cooking cycle.


Place your sheet with the rolls into a 350 degree preheated oven.  No longer than 10 minutes in my oven.  It is easy to overcook these and they are terrible if you do.  I say cook them 10 minutes and then check them in your oven.  If they resemble the picture above, remove them immediately.  You don't want them too brown.  You don't want the ends of each to turn brown and hard.  No amount of butter in the world will fix that.


Another view from the top.  You want them just golden brown.  I am suggesting that 10 minutes is going to be the perfect time to leave them in most ovens.


I decided I would try two of them straight from the oven.  They looked so delicious.


Land O' Lakes has several varieties of tasty buttery spreads these days.  I used this wonderful Olive Oil & Sea Salt.  We also have tubs of regular Canola, Cinnamon Sugar and Honey flavored spreads. My favorite is the Cinnamon Sugar.  Steven likes the Honey.


Very gently, using a serrated bread nice, slice open the roll and then apply the spread of your choice.


I was probably a little more generous than I needed to be, but I had not eaten all day so I splurged a little.


Folded over and ready for any dining table.

These were delicious.  Next time I think I will try sesame seeds.  Then maybe a cinnamon sugar topping.  You could use any spice you like.  You could sprinkle fresh rosemary on them.  Whatever your palette suggests.  I'll make some more and share them with you.  The next time you are having Pillsbury Crescent rolls at your dinner table, jazz them up a little.  I'm sure you and your family will love them.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig