New TSA Approved Locks for my Luggage

On the train trip to Chicago, my bags were with me - actually in my possession - for the entirety of the trip.  On the return trip, I flew and I checked one bag.  I always worry about checking bags because there have been horror stories in the news about baggage handlers taking liberties with traveler's bags and helping themselves to the contents.  While I am sure these are isolated incidents, I am still uncomfortable checking my luggage.  Fortunately, I found these new luggage locks that are TSA Recognized Locks.  Read on and see what you think.


You will see as we go through this post that these locks feature these red "collars" which pop up if your bag has been inspected by a TSA screener or tampered with in any way.


As you see in the pictures on the packaging, the red collar disappears when the lock as been secured on your luggage.  When the red collar is visible, the lock has been opened.


Here, a picture of one of my locks after I set the combination.  You see the red collar is not visible.


Here, one lock has been set and one has not.  These are very heavy locks.  They are small, but very heavy.  I feel much better having these on my bags.  Whether or not they are any better at securing the contents I suppose is irrelevant if they give me at least the illusion of additional security.  I do not think it was a waste of money to buy these.  I look at it like this.  If someone handling the bags is intent on gaining access, they are going to take the path of least resistance.  If a bag comes through with no lock or an inferior lock, then they are likely to rummage through those bags.  It's like the house with a sign in the front yard announcing the name of the security company watching over the premises.  The burglar is likely to avoid that house and search for one without a security system. Same thing here.  Those who work in the airline industry will certainly recognize these locks and decide it is not worth the trouble of breaking into that bag.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig