Take Amtrak - But Get a Sleeper Car

The trip from Washington to Chicago was long.  In total, 17 hours and a few minutes.  So it was an investment in time.  I, for many years, have wanted to take the train headed west, and this business trip allowed me to do that, with some planning, of course.  One of my dream vacations has been to take the train across the country from Washington to Los Angeles.  This will happen, but it will take a lot of planning.  And a sleeper car reservation!  Here are some pictures I took on the ride to Chicago. I hope you enjoy.


Arriving at Union Station in Chicago.  I really like the retro look and feel of the station.


I stayed at the Kinzie Hotel, which is a very nice boutique hotel in the River North district.


The room was comfy cozy with an enormous California King bed.  Very contemporary in design and I like that.


I loved this lamp.  It reminds me of something you would expect to see in the animated adventures of Alice in Wonderland.


The first night there I went to dinner with my friend Carolynn and some others.  We ate at Cantina Laredo.



Isn't that staircase to die for?  This was really a fantastic restaurant.  The interior design and the food were extraordinary.


Of course we had to have a little fun while in the windy city.  An evening at Howl at the Moon was in order.  So, there are dueling pianos and a set of drums in the back.  Male and female play piano, drums and take requests.  You write your request on a piece of paper and fold it in half with some denomination of bill tucked inside.  Then toss is on top of the piano.  My request was Like a Virgin by Madonna, which they did.  And a very realistic rendition I might add.  A fun night.


The Sears Tower as seen from my seat on the train.


Actually it is no longer the Sears Tower, but is called the Willis Tower.  The structure was renamed in 2009 by the Willis Group as part of its lease on a portion of the tower's space.  The largest tenant is United Airlines. 


These unusual round buildings are the Marina Towers luxury condominiums.


We rolled into Chicago just about the beginning of the morning rush hour.  This looked very reminiscent of my very own rush hour.


Just outside of Chicago we went past many steel mills,  Some looked abandoned.  But others were still in production.


As you can see above, this mill was producing something.


Again, something is being manufactured as is evidenced by the roiling smokestacks.


I loved watching all of these structures and we got closer and closer to the city.


And another shot of another mill.  I find the architecture of these places interesting.  We do not have steel mills in and around Washington.  The closest mills to Washington would be in Baltimore. Those are quite interesting to see also.


I love the spaciousness on the train.  The seats are superbly comfortable.  They recline so that you can sleep, but they are really not suited for a good, restful sleep.  A sleeper car is definitely the way to go if you are taking a trip across the country.


And finally, a shot of the morning sunrise somewhere over Indiana.  A wonderful and lovely trip.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig