It's Time to Carve the Pumpkins

I always carve at least one pumpkin every year for the front porch at Halloween.  We did every year when I was growing up, so it is a tradition that I like to continue.  When I was young and carved the pumpkin with my father, we kept it very simple.  That is how it was done in those days.  But now, there are all kinds of things on the market you can use to make your pumpkin carving the talk of the town.  In particular, the Pumpkin Master brands carving kits are wonderful!  Take a look at what I accomplished this year for our front porch.


This kit is new for this year and it is the best so far, in my opinion.  The "Goop Scoop" spoon has been improved.  It is much more sturdy than the spoons in previous versions.  You also get a large and small saw.  The large one is used for larger area cutouts and the small one for more intricate areas.


The stencils have also been improved which results in a much easier way to stencil your design onto your pumpkin.  You see above the skull template that I chose for the first pumpkin.  In the past, you had to tape the stencil onto the pumpkin and then go around the entire design with a little plastic toothpick with a handle which was included in the kit.  This was tedious and time consuming and when you removed the stencil it was difficult to see the little puncture marks you made with the plastic toothpick which made carving the pumpkin all the more difficult.
 

But no more.  Now the design is printed and then perforated.  All you need to do it punch out along the perforated lines, tape the stencil to your pumpkin, and use the enclosed fine point black felt tip marker to go around the design and apply it right onto the pumpkin.  This is so much quicker and easier.  Then you remove the stencil and your design is right there on the pumpkin.  You use the small saw for small areas and the big saw for big areas.


Of course, the first thing to do is to cut a hole in the top of your pumpkin around the stem and remove that so you can scoop out the content.  The spoon does a very good job at this.  It is serrated along one side so you can scrape the bottom of the pumpkin clean.  The other side of the spoon has long, finger-like extensions which are perfect for scraping around the sides of the pumpkin to remove all the fibrous parts and to collect the pumpkin seeds.  Also, be certain when cutting the top opening around the stem on the pumpkin that you cut in at an angle.  If you cut straight down, this top piece will have nothing to sit on and will fall into your pumpkin.


A short while later, we had three very elaborately carved pumpkins for the children to enjoy on Saturday night.  First was the skull which we discussed above.


Next up, a flaming skull.  I think I like this one the best.


And finally, a spooky bat flying out of what appears to be his cave.

As for lighting the pumpkins, I am old school.  I do not use any of the newfangled lighting thingies.  I use votive candles.  Actually, this year I'm using large, scented votives to light up the pumpkins. Whether or not we will be able to enjoy the fragrance out of doors, I do not yet know.

These fanciful pumpkins add a little fun to the evening and the children always get a charge out of them.  It's not too late to carve your pumpkin(s).  These carving kits are sold at Walmart and Target. Of that I am certain.  We do not have Kmart near us, but I'll bet they have them also.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig