It's Time to Start Preparing for Halloween

Can you believe Halloween is this Saturday?  I cannot.  But, whether or not we can believe it, it is. As part of the errand run this past weekend, a stop at the local nursery to pick up pumpkins was added to the list.


This is the Hampton Nursery on Route 450 in Hyattsville.  They have a wonderful selection of indoor and outdoor plants.


They had quite a selection of pumpkins from which to choose.


I chose three pumpkins of considerable size.  We already have several small pumpkins on the front porch.  I thought it was time to add some grandeur to the scheme.  The two above are perfectly formed pumpkins.  The third, which is in the back seat, was a little deformed, but I like that.  It adds character.


I particularly liked the texture of this pumpkin and the way the handle was formed.  These will make great jack o' lanterns.


After I bought the pumpkins, I headed off to get more Halloween necessities.  We needed a new carving kit with stencils for the pumpkins, a couple bags of candy (no, ... we do not hand out toothbrushes and granola bars for Halloween), and treat bags.  I like to make treat bags for the children.  And I am quite generous.  Halloween is such a fun holiday, for the children and the adults.


I bought two large bags of candy that seemed to have all of what I would imagine are favorites among young children who will be going door to door on All Hallows Eve.


I must admit I enjoyed the Swedish Fish.  There was only one bag in the whole bunch of candy and I thought, why not.  I even tried some of the other candy.  Like the Warheads.  WOW!!  I can't eat those.  The Dubble Bubble is from back when I was a child.  I was surprised to see that.


I dump the bags of candy out onto the counter-top and them separate it.  Then I started filling the treat bags.


I thought these were the neatest of all the treat bags available this year.  These are from Target.  In the past, I have gotten the candy and the treat bags from Walmart.  However, the past two years, our local Walmart has not had the treat bags.  They have lots of candy, but no treat bags.  So I just go to Target now.


Here is a look inside one of the treat bags you will receive if you stop by Dewey Street this year.  I see an Air Head, a jaw breaker, a Lemon Head, a couple pops.  Not too bad.


I placed the bags inside this iron skillet which we will sit just inside the front door to hand out to all the little trick or treaters.  This year I made 40 bags.  It is hard to say how many children we will get. Some years we get, maybe, six children.  Other years we have run out of bags and had to hand out individual pieces of candy.  Since Halloween is on Saturday this year, I expect we may get more than usual.  If that happens, I have extra bags and a little extra candy, so we should be covered.

I have fond memories of Halloween from my younger years.  Not so much with going door to door because we lived in an area where houses were far apart.  But I remember going to Halloween functions at school and, later, going to haunted houses with friends and things like that.  Very fond memories that I will carry with me always.  I hope all of you have a wonderful, happy and safe Halloween.  Be sure to check back during the week to see how the pumpkins turn out.  

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig