A Cozy and Functional Corner Countertop in the Kitchen

As is the case in most apartments, countertop space in the kitchen is at a premium, especially in a building constructed in the mid-60's such as the building I currently live in.  But that doesn't mean that you cannot or should not strive to make your kitchen space as functional and beautiful as possible.  I recently redid this space beside the kitchen sink where I was storing my KitchenAid stand mixer.  It just wasn't the look I wanted.  If I had countertop space like what I imagine exists in the Glazer Estate in Beverly Hills, then I would certainly have room for a KitchenAid stand mixer and most anything else I wanted to store on countertop, but that is just not the case.  So I put the mixer away and started experimenting with how I wanted the space to look.  Here goes.


First thing to do was to remove the mixer and give this area a good cleaning.  I'm a Formula 409 kind of guy.  It cleans everything to a sparkling shimmer and it has a pleasant scent.  I've used it for years.


I have been trying to find a suitable spot for this Christmas cactus for some time.  I've tried several different places throughout the apartment and I have never been happy with any of the spots I've chosen.  It fits well in this space and with a few additions, it turned out that this is where it should have been all along.


I added this knife block.  This is the Kapoosh knife block I bought at The Container Store and posted about here on May 3, 2019, so I've had it for a little over a year now and it continues to serve me well.  There are more expensive blocks out there, but this one serves its purpose so well I am not willing to part with it.  It holds everyday knives in the top and a rather expensive set of Sabatier steak knives in the lower level.


I really love the little bee emblem on the top of the handles on these knives.  I like having them at the ready when I want to use them and not put away in storage.


Next, a little bowl of lemons and kiwi.  I was happy with this, but I thought I needed to add a little something.  Something was missing.


And that something was this little black stand underneath the bowl of lemon and kiwi.


This was the look I was going for.  I bought two of these little wooden stands from Amazon, one in 4" and another in 5".  They were stained in a cherrywood finish and I decided that wouldn't work, so I spray painted them with a grey primer and then finished them with a gloss black spray paint.  They turned out beautifully!  This one works perfectly in this new kitchen countertop configuration.

The corner looks so much better than when it was occupied by a lonely stand mixer.  Get a little creative and walk through the house and see if you can arrange your kitchen countertop space with a little pizzazz.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig