We Installed a Wall Safe at Crest Avenue

For several years, I had a small, fire-proof safe in which I kept important documents.  It did not offer very much space inside and it was always in the way.  No matter where I moved it, I was never happy with where it was in the house.  It was heavy and it just did not work for me.  I decided it had to go. So I emptied it and called a local hauling service to take it away.  I still needed a safe place for sensitive documents and I did not want to rent a safe deposit box at the bank, so what was I to do?  I decided I would install a wall safe.


This Stack-On Wall Safe with an electronic lock was the perfect choice for my needs.  It can be operated by using the keypad you see in the picture above or with a key which is included with the purchase.


The safe is designed to fit between the standard 16" stud design which is common in existing building codes.  All you need to do is find a suitable place in your home where you would like to install the safe and cut a hole in the wall between the studs.  I cut this hole using a dremel power tool and a drywall saw.


As you can see in this picture, there was an additional complication with this location due to an existing outlet that was set very high on the wall when the house was originally built.  I called a local electrician to come and remove the outlet.  You will likely not have this to worry with.


To fix the hole left in the wall where the electrical outlet was, I bought this wall repair kit from Lowe's.  It came with everything I needed to repair the small hole left from the outlet.  These kits come in different sizes and you make your purchase based on the size of the area to be repaired.



Inside the package you have a metal mesh screen, spackling and primer in one, a putty knife and a sanding pad.  Everything you need in one neat package.


The mesh screen has an adhesive back.  You simply peel off the backing and apply it to the wall.


Then, you apply the spackling compound.


Apply several thin layers until you build up a nice, solid base.


Then lightly sand the spackling compound until you have a smooth finished surface.  You can see a small area of the mesh showing in this picture on the right side of the repaired area.  Don't worry about that.  Simply apply a light coat of primer and let it dry thoroughly and then paint over it. You will never see it.


After the repair was made to the hole left from the outlet, I set the wall safe.  Make sure it is level and then attach to the wall studs according to the directions you receive with your safe.  Once it is in and sturdily secured, you are ready to store your valuables.  This safe even comes with a holder for a hand gun, if you are so inclined.  To each his own.

Now, ...you ask.  Why on earth, John, would you want a big ole honkin' wall safe on the wall.  That doesn't look very nice.  Well, you are going to have to come back to see how we took care of that issue.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig