We're Growing White Pineberry


I decided to order White Pineberry through one of the mail order catalogs this year.  It was just last year that I ordered vinca vine through the mail and was disappointed to not have one plant survive. But not one to give up easily, I decided I would try again this year with something different.  White Pineberry was the choice.


Aren't these the strangest looking berries!  I think we are just not used to seeing fruit that is not colored.  Yellows, oranges, blues, greens, reds - fruit comes in all colors.  But these white berries are quite unusual.  As taken from Wikipedia:

Pineberry is an albino strawberry cultivar with a pineapple-like flavor, white coloring, and red seeds. Pineberry is based on the original strawberry hybrids that arose in cultivation in Europe, with recent selective breeding to improve the plants. It is a hybrid of Fragaria chiloensis, originating in South America, and Fragaria virginiana, …

 Wikipedia


Here are my plants.  I just took them out of the mail envelope and placed the root ball into a glass partially filled with water.


It has been about 10 days now and I am already seeing vigorous growth.  I cannot wait to get these in the ground.  Usually any time after April 1 is safe to plant here in the mid-Atlantic.  Berries this year? We'll have to wait and see.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig