Some Yard Maintenance

We spent some time in the yard recently.  The past month has been hot and extremely humid, which is normal for this time of year in DC.  So yard maintenance has been neglected.  I have not been working outside in this heat and William the yard guy has not been showing up either.  This past weekend was suitable for working outside, so I took advantage of the more tolerable conditions.  One of the things that needed to be done was to put down turf builder.  So, that is exactly what I did.


This year I am using the Scott's handheld spreader.  I had a bucket spreader which I would fill with fertilizer or seed and push over the lawn.  It worked well enough.  I really had no complaints with it. However, it was stolen from the shed along with several other items sometime last year.  Since our time at Crest Avenue is short, I decided to buy one of the handheld spreaders to see us through the season.


The Scotts company has perfected their line of yard and garden products, so you can never go wrong buying anything from them.


I decided it was time to put down their Turf Builder Weed & Feed.  Clearing out dandelions and clover - GUARANTEED!  That would be a wonderful thing.


So, I filled up the hopper of the handheld fertilizer spreader in preparation.

But before that, I went over the entire area that I would applying the fertilizer with this manual lawn aerator.  You simply place the two prongs on the bottom on the top of the lawn and then, using your foot, press down firmly on the connecting bar to penetrate the soil.  When done, lift up and continue this process over the entire yard.  This device will retrieve little plugs of soil and "aerate" your lawn. The Weed & Feed will then not only adhere to the grass, but also settle in these pockets where it will set about fertilizing the root system.


There was an area beside the front sidewalk where we removed the English boxwoods that needed a little attention.


I added a bag of Scotts Turf Builder in this area first.  Then I applied the Weed & Feed.  I am anxious to see the results of this bit of yard maintenance.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig