Our Limited Outdoor Gardening

As most of you know by now, Crest Avenue is on the market.  Well, it was on the market and then we decided to do some renovations.  So we took it off the market for a while.  We are in the midst of these renovations as I write and as soon as they are done, we will list for sale again.  But in all the hullabaloo that is my life right now, I have carved out a little time to tend to a few gardening issues.  Take a look.


My original decision was to not put anything out in the hanging baskets this year since, honestly, I expected we would have a contract by now.  But since it is taking a little longer than planned to get things ready, and at the urging of my realtor to add some color, I picked up two of these cute little "no-name" flower arrangements.  It only took a minute to get them in the baskets and hung.  They are very much like little petunias and I expect as the season goes on they will flourish and eventually grow to completely cover these baskets.


The banana tree is making its appearance again this year.  Every year it is larger and larger and every year it sends up more stalks.  I think we will keep the three you see here and cut back the shorter ones that are not in this picture.  I explained the banana tree to my realtor and I told her that I would leave it alone until, or if, she told me that she thought it needed to be trimmed or removed altogether.  I'm sure we will have further conversation about this.


The topiaries I bought in the early spring are doing exceptionally well.  I have been making sure to water them on a regular basis.  They are in good quality garden soil and in nice pots with good drainage.  There is a layer of black mulch on top of each which is not only decorative but helps to retain moisture.  These will continue to thrive throughout the season and I hope the new owners love them as much as I do.  The vinca vine (to the right in this picture) is doing well this year also.  I decided to let it grow this year rather than cutting it back.  I makes such a beautiful ground cover.  If I were staying in the house, I would let it cover this entire side of the front yard, which could easily happen this year.  Of course, I no longer really have say over such.  The new owners will do with it what they will.


This will be our last year to visit the blue hydrangea in the front yard.  This is quite a specimen and I will miss tending to it every year.


It is actually two hydrangeas planted within about two feet of each other that have more or less come together as one over the years.  A more beautiful planting I have not seen.  I went over the entire thing early this spring and trimmed out all of the dead wood that was not producing.  That improved the shape and it is quite a showstopper this year.  It did experience a little damage during the bamboo removal as you can see on the right side.  That is bamboo detritus in the yard which I will need to clean up this weekend.

The guys have worked very hard over the past two weeks to remove a good deal of the bamboo.  The contractor informed me that they removed, I believe he said, 4000 pounds of bamboo.  Commercial companies have to weigh their loads on the scales at the landfill each time they enter, so I am certain that number is correct.  Amazing!!  And it has opened up the back yard tremendously.

So the work continues.  I think the guys will be done with renovation in the basement by the end of this week.  I'll clean up the house and then the photographer will come and take pictures for the listing.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig