A Little Bit of Spring

March, at last!  I'm always anxious for spring to begin once we turn the calendar and enter the month of March.  It shouldn't be long now before the trees are starting to bud and everything in nature starts to renew itself.  Hopefully, we can do the same and move beyond this most horrible of years.  As Queen Elizabeth II referred to her prior year in 1992, marking her Ruby Jubilee on the throne, we could most definitely assert that this past year was indeed an annus horribilus.  But we are not going to concentrate on that today.  I've done a little container gardening to help bring spring to the apartment.  Take a look.

While shopping this weekend, I made a quick run to Wal-Mart and found these lovely little containers filled with sprouting bulbs.  How could I resist?

They were just too cute.  I wasn't sure where I would plant them, but I knew I had to buy them and I would figure it out later.

I mean, how could you pass up this perfect little grape hyacinth.  Actually, I did not buy this plant because it had already started to bloom.  All of the ones I chose were still without blooms because I wanted to enjoy the eventual flowers as long as possible.

When I got home, I starting searching for a pot to put them all in.  I found this wonderful little square planter which is actually a bonsai pot.  I thought this would work perfectly.  It still had some moss in it from a prior planting, so I ended up using that also.

So here is what I ended up with from the selection of plants they had available.


Purple Iris.


Yellow Daffodil.


Pink Hyacinth.  (I thought I got a grape hyacinth, but I guess not.  Doesn't matter.  The pink will be just as beautiful).

Blue Muscari.  If you are not sure what Blue Muscari is, and I wasn't, a picture follows:


Very beautiful.

And finally, Pink Tulip.

I just removed them from their plastic pots and placed them in that planter.  I moved them around until I was happy with their placement.  Once everything was snugly in place, I decorated the top of the soil with the moss.  This will be the last time using this moss.  It is starting to crumble a bit.

I placed the planter on a table with lots of northern exposure.  They should do well here and I hope to share a picture or two with you in a week or so of a lovely indoor spring planter.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig