New Shelves for the Hallway Closet

I installed a couple new shelves in the hallway closet.  This closet is just inside the front door and is used to store coats and jackets and a multitude of other things.  I have maximized the space to the last inch and needed a place to put my hats and gloves and winter scarves.  There was a wall left that was not serving any purpose, so I put it to use.  I picked up these shelves from Lowes and they were quite easy to install.

I bought them in white.  The walls are an off-white and I thought the white shelves would look nice with that color.  They come in black also, so it is definitely a personal choice on which color you choose.  They are 18" wide by 5" deep.  Perfect for the space in my closet.

Unpacked, you have the shelf, two brackets and a small packet of hardware which includes two wall anchors and two screws.  I did not use the wall anchors for this installation since I am storing lightweight items on the shelves.  If you will be storing heavy items, I would definitely suggest using the wall anchors.

Here, the wall inside the closet where the shelves were installed.  This is a short wall and the 18" shelves were the perfect size.

I used a metal ruler to measure the wall and adjust the position so the shelves were centered horizontally.  The pencil marks are easily removed once installation is complete by using an ordinary pencil eraser and then going over the pencil marks with a damp Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge.

The shelves are easily installed using a cord-free, handheld drill with a 3/32" drill bit.

Once your positions are marked it is time to drill the holes at the designated marks and then to install the screws included in the package to which the brackets slip onto to hold the shelf in place.

A quick bit of advice.  You really only need to measure one side of the wall on which you are installing the shelf.  If you use a level, as I have done in this picture you can get the measurements you need on both sides.  I set the level on the shelf and lined it up with the mark on the right side of the wall and that let me know where to mark the left side of wall for the bracket so the shelf would be level.  This worked perfectly.

One you have your marks on the wall and the hardware installed in the wall, you can set the brackets in place.  There is a small metal bracket that is recessed in the back of the wooden bracket that holds the shelf.  You simply line up the bracket and slide it downward and into place so it is snug against the wall.  In the picture above you can see that I have begun to remove the protective layer off the pre-installed sticky tape that is installed on the top of each bracket at the factory.  This sticky tape holds the shelf in place.

Here you see that I have both wooden brackets installed on the wall for the first shelf.  They are very snug against the wall.  You may have to adjust the screw that you install in the wall a few times to get them snug against the wall.

I used the same procedure to install two shelves, measuring on the right side of the wall and then using a small level to mark the wall on the left side so I would get a level installation.  The installation was seamless and took very little time to complete.  I would say it should not take more than 30 minutes to install these shelves in your home, from setting your measurements to drilling the holes for the support screws to placing the shelves.

So here is the first shelf which holds a couple pair of gloves and my Carhartt stocking cap for those cold, windy winter mornings in Washington.

The second shelf holds neck scarves for the same kind of cold, winter mornings.  A casual black Hugo Boss scarf for the weekends and a more formal Ralph Lauren grey plaid for dressier occasions.


And finally, a shot of the two shelves together.  I was very happy with how this project turned out.  There is room on this small interior closet wall for one more shelf and I will likely return to Lowes for one more shelf and get that installed sometime in the near future.  Maximizing all of the spaces in your home is essential, especially if you are an apartment dweller.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig