We Upgraded the Salt & Pepper Shakers

Sometimes you just need an upgrade.  Could be something small.  Could be something big.  We found ourselves in need of a small upgrade in the kitchen recently and here is how it went.

I bought this little salt and pepper set when I moved into the apartment.  I don't think these came from the house.  They were cute and inexpensive and I just needed a set in the kitchen.  And they have worked well over the past five years.

But, nothing lasts forever and these were starting to show some wear, especially the salt shaker.  There was pitting on the top and the silver plating was starting to chip away.  Not good.

They were still presentable from the side, but I would not put them out for guests.

During a walk through Target recently, I found what I thought would be the perfect replacement in this cute set of marble salt & pepper shakers.

Here, out of the wrapping and in the kitchen, atop a cutting board and ready to be filled with salt and pepper.


Rather than screw tops, these lovely little shakers have clear rubber plugs on the bottom.  Just flip them over and remove the plugs.  I used a butter knife to get under the plug and get it dislodged.  You will probably find you need to do the same.  You want these to fit very snugly.


I just filled these up with the contents of the previous salt and pepper shakers.


Little rubber plugs back in place.


And we are good to go.  These fit perfectly in the small cabinet drawer occupied by the previous shakers.  I like these for a number of reasons.  They are marble, which is nice.  Easy to fill from the bottom.  I can tell you that salt and pepper went everywhere when I would unscrew the old ones to fill them.  There will be no corroding effect on the top of these as they are marble.  And no worry about fingerprints like before on the glass shakers.  I recall being scolded once by my mother on a visit when she discovered that the salt and pepper shakers I used in the kitchen had smudges and fingerprints on them.  I don't want another "talking to" about that.  Once final thing - two hole shaker is for salt, three hole shaker is for pepper.  These are nice and sturdy and I think a good choice for any kitchen, especially yours!








No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig