Lemons and Limes and More, ... Oh My!

I always think I'm running out of lemons and limes.  Every time I am in the produce department, I always pick up at least a few lemons and limes.  They are a staple in my kitchen.  If a recipe calls for lemon or lime juice, it is always freshly squeezed in my house.  A little dash of either in a glass of Coke Zero is especially delicious.  Over salads.  Over shrimp or any seafood.  A wedge in a glass of iced tea.  And of course lemon and lime wedges always at the ready for the cocktail hour.

All of the grocery stores in the DC area sell lemons and limes in bulk in the produce department.  I generally choose from the bulk bins.

You have complete control over your choice this way.  Alongside the bulk bins, the supermarkets do sell lemons and limes in mesh bags, but I have not had good luck with those.  No matter how closely I inspect the fruit in the mesh bag, when I get home and remove them from the bag, there is always at least one that is moldy.  This drives me crazy for a number of reason not the least of which is it could mean that I end up with a non-matching number of lemons to limes.  No!  That will not do.  I don't care if it is an even number or an odd number, but the total number of each has to equal.

This week I used this clear glass pitcher to store them on top of the refrigerator.  They fit perfectly in here and I like the look.  A little known fact about limes - Did you know that when a lime takes on a yellow hue that that is a sign that is ripe?  They are not shipped or sold when this color because shipping them when they are unripe, and hard, is much easier.  Also, a longer shelf-life if put out in the store still unripe.  Sort of like bananas.  I like to eat unripe bananas but I do not like unripe limes.  It is impossible to get any juice from them when they are green.  So when you see limes that are a little bit yellow, always choose those because they are ripe and will yield much more juice than the ones that are green.  A little bit of knowledge to share with you that I learned the hard way.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig