A New Brown Sugar Clay Bear

Roaming through the kitchen section of a local home goods store, I came across this cute little clay brown sugar bear who I thought was too cute to leave behind.  Placing a piece of fired clay that has been soaked in water in your brown sugar helps to keep it from hardening.  Clay is highly porous so it holds and maintains moisture well. 

Over time, the clay slowly releases the moisture into the brown sugar preventing it from drying out and hardening.

This little fellow is made from a specially fired clay which makes him food safe and reusable.  Here he is out of the packaging and lying in an ordinary soup bowl.  You can use any bowl available in the kitchen for the next step.

Time for a warm water bath for our little bear.  I added enough water to completely cover him and left him to soak for 20 minutes.


 I removed him from the water bath and let him drip dry, then placed him in the brown sugar container.

And here we are with the brown sugar container back in place in the kitchen cabinets with a little clay bear inside keeping everything from drying out.  This should last between 3 - 6 months.  I will check it periodically and place him in a new water bath when the time is right.  On a side note, you see that I have dark brown sugar and light brown sugar in the same container.  I am not a brown sugar purist.  Most times I use a mixture of dark and light in whatever recipe I am using.  The only difference between dark brown sugar and light is that dark has a higher molasses content.  Brown sugar of any description is delicious, no matter the hue.

You can find these clay drop-ins in a multitude of designs at any kitchen store or outlet.  I liked the bear, but you can use any design you want.  Just don't take a piece of broken clay pottery from the garden and use it to moisten your brown sugar.  These are specially fired for food use.  

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig