Work in the Basement and a New Summer Wreath

Good Monday afternoon to everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  We spent the majority of the weekend working inside.  It was just too hot and humid to be outside.  I dug out a few large weeds in the back yard and bagged them up for pick up today.  But that was it.  I worked mainly in the basement.  We are tearing out the ceiling tiles down there and going with a whole new look. We are also preparing for Ken the Electrician to come.  He is going to run a new cable outlet to my bedroom and install new track lighting in the basement.


We removed these firring strips to which the 1950's ceiling tiles were attached.  We are going to go with a more open, rustic look.  This dated light fixture will also be removed and replaced with sleek track lighting.  Cord management may be a bit of a challenge, but I am going to work the Ken the Electrician to try and bring it under control.  I have a plan to hide those cords which cannot be removed.


In renovation you never know what you will find.  As I was removing the ceiling tiles, I found this electrical light fixture tucked away in the rafters but still hooked up.  Or I assume it is still hooked up. We will find out for certain when Ken arrives.  This seems hazardous to me.  If not hazardous, then certainly not to code.  I will be glad to have it removed.

___________________________________________

We eventually took a break from the grueling work in the basement and ran weekend errands.  And that is where I found a new summer wreath for the front door.


This beautiful fern wreath.  It is so simple and elegant.  I knew the instant I saw it that it would look perfect against the black door.  When I got it home and on the door I realized that I had not fully realized just how wonderful it would look.  It is perfection.


The other thing I like about it is it is not so thick that I cannot close the storm door.  That happens frequently with wreaths, but not so in this case.  This blends in so well with the asparagus ferns in the planters on the front porch and with the rabbits foot fern and jade pot.  It is also works well with the elephant ear plant.  All in all, a good find and a good deal.  It was on sale at Target for a ridiculously low price.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig