Our Second Tomato Harvest

I am giddy over how well my tomato plants have done this year.  I got them planted early in the spring.  Actually earlier than anyone recommended.  Many people thought I planted too early due to the chance of frost.  But, we were lucky and there was no frost and now I am harvesting the most beautiful tomatoes.  Take a look.


On a recent trip to the garden I was able to nearly fill this clay pot with black cherry tomatoes and two smallish black heirloom and two large heirloom tomatoes.  A delicious summer treat.


I enjoyed several of the cherry tomatoes warm from the vine.  The rest I brought inside and rinsed with a little cold water along with the heirlooms.  The cherry tomatoes will be delicious in salads.


But what does one do with large heirloom tomatoes?  One makes a summer tomato sandwich, of course.  And the ingredient list for this delicacy is very specific.  You must start with two slices of white bread.  And you must have Duke's mayonnaise.


First step, get a nice slather of mayonnaise on both slices of bread.  We're making a summer tomato sandwich.  No skimping on the mayo or using fat free mayo or any of that.


Slice your tomato thick.  And place several layers on the bread.  The smaller slices you get which you first start slicing can be enjoyed later with a little salt and eaten by hand.  Not on a plate with a fork and knife.


My sandwich was a three-layer sandwich.  Then it was time for a sprinkling of Morton's Salt (in the blue container) and a little ground black pepper if you like.


Finish off with the other slice of white bread and you have the most delicious sandwich you have ever tasted.


Tomato sandwiches on white bread bring back fond memories of my youth growing up in the Virginia countryside.  My other favorite sandwich was a cheese sandwich.  Just one slice of Kraft American cheese on white bread with mayonnaise.  I would always ask for this at lunch time when visiting my Newman grandmother and she would just reel.  "Is that all you want," she was ask. "Yes ma'am" was my refrain.  "And a glass of iced tea, please."

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig