Refreshing my Desk Keyboard Drawer

My desk has a pull-out drawer where my keyboard resides.  Some time ago, I placed drawer liner on this pull-out drawer and then set my keyboard on top of that.  The plan was to have something under the keyboard that would keep it from sliding around in this drawer.  The drawer liner I chose worked perfectly for this but, as with anything, it reached a point where it needed to be replaced.  So I took care of that recently and here is what I did.

Here we have a picture of the pull-out drawer that is part of my desk where the keyboard resides.  I put down this liner some time ago and it has worked very well to keep the keyboard in-place while I am typing.

Over the years, it has gotten dirty and stained from everyday use.  I would occasionally remove the keyboard and wipe it down, but it had reached the end of its usefulness, so it was time for a change.

I removed the liner and retrieved my can of Pledge furniture polish and a freshly washed terrycloth polishing cloth.  I have used Pledge furniture polish on all my furniture for many years.  It is a reliable product that has been around for many years.  I like the lemon scented but there is also an orange scented which is equally as nice.

A few wipes the the polishing cloth and a generous spray of Pledge and the drawer is looking very nice.  The drawer liner protected this area so there are no nicks or scratches of any kind.

The replacement drawer liner is this wonderful mottled liner from the easy Liner® brand shelf liner.  I liked this as soon as I saw it.  The white liner was very beautiful, but I wanted something different.

A quick measure of the opening of the keyboard drawer and we see that we are right at 22-1/8" for length.  I did not worry so much about the depth measurement.  The depth of the roll of liner was just about the exact same depth as the drawer, so I did not make another cut for depth.

I rolled out a length of the new drawer liner and measured in from the factory edge by 1/2".  I drew a straight line and cut the first 1/2" off the roll from the factory edge.  This way I started with a fresh edge on the roll of liner.  Once that was marked and cut, I measure in 22-1/8", struck another line, and cut along that line to get our perfect sized liner ready to put in place.

Here we are with a new drawer liner in place on the desk keyboard drawer.  This looks very nice.  I could not be more pleased with this selection of liner.


Finally, back in place with the keyboard and we have freshened up this area of the desk quite nicely.  Everything seems very stable.  The liner is not moving around because it was perfectly cut and set in place.  The keyboard is remaining in place and not traveling all over the wooden surface that was just cleaned with Lemon Pledge.  This was a nice upgrade.  I always feel better about working at my desk when I make a little improvement here or there.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig