Greenery

I decided to take a different approach this week and just add fresh greenery in a vase rather than the usual alstroemeria.  Take a look.

This week, instead of flowers, I picked up only greenery.  I like this look very much.  You can pick up these greenery assortments in cellophane from your local florist or the floral department of your local food market.  Many times when I purchase alstroemeria, I also pick up one of these greenery assortments and then set about combining the flowers with the greenery once I get home.

This week, I decided to buy greenery only.  I just think this is a very nice, simple, clean look.  Understated elegance.  I prepared the stems and the water in the vase the same as I do for alstroemeria.  I used cool tap water in the vase and then added the entire content of the preservative packet that is always wrapped inside your arrangement.

This is the packet that is included in each arrangement you pick up.  It is wedged inside the cellophane overwrap and usually in-between the stems of the flowers or greenery.  I usually add about two cups of water to the vase and then pour in the entire content of this preservative and stir until it is dissolved.  Once you have prepared the water in the vase, you may cut the stems and then immediately place the cut ends into the water in the vase.

In so doing, you are assured that the cut end of the stems will immediately begin absorbing the fresh water with the preservative added and this will extend the life of whatever you are placing in the vase.  It is best not to cut the stems and leave them on the counter before placing them into the water.  Some advise to cut the stems under running water and then place them in the water in the vase.  The reason for this is that once the stems are cut, air flows through the stem and creates an air pocket, thereby preventing the absorption of water.

If you are so inclined, pick up a greenery assortment this week and try it in a vase in a special spot in your home.  I think you will be please.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig