Adding to Our Onion Storage Post

I picked up some avocados over the weekend.  "Where to store them" was the question.  "Alongside the onions" was the answer.


I guess I'm known to buy fruits and vegetables in mesh bags.  This appears to be a recurring theme.  It just seems easier that way.


You really cannot tell if avocados are fresh by looking at them like with the yellow onions.  You have to feel an avocado.  The skin should give just a little when you squeeze it.  Too soft and they are already overripe.  If they are hard, then they will need a day or two to ripen.  Avocados are notoriously difficult to keep.  What is a ripe avocado, ready to use today, will be an overripe avocado tomorrow.  That's why when I am making a dish that requires avocado, I buy a couple extra just in case there is one or possibly two that are dark when I cut them.


Avocados are best stored in brown paper bags, and NEVER in the refrigerator until after they are sliced.  Even then, they do not store well, so I usually do not store even a cut avocado in the refrigerator.  If I have any left over from a recipe, I'll make an avocado sandwich, which is the most divine thing you will ever taste.  A little mayo on sour dough bread and a few slices of avocado - delicious!

Additionally, the flesh of the avocado will start to darken as soon as it is exposed to the air.  A sprinkle of freshly squeezed lemon juice over the sliced avocado will take care of that problem.  These will be used in a salad with butter bibb lettuce which I will share with you later this week.

I just wanted to add this quick update to Friday's post when we talked about storing yellow onions.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig