Let's Start Getting Some Things Organized for the Move

For nearly a year, I have been cleaning out Crest Avenue.  Going through boxes of old paperwork and shredding what was no longer relevant.  Donating many, ... many items to Goodwill.  I've also sold some of my furniture and given some to friends and family.  I have just a couple pieces of furniture that have been sold that are still in my possession.  I am waiting on the buyer to pick them up.  Once those are gone, the house will be almost empty.  With this part of the move behind me, I am moving on to other things that need my attention.  One of those things is organization.  I am not a Certified Professional Organizer, but I am a pretty good organizer.  Maybe I'll look into getting my credentials in organizing once I get through this move.  Stay tuned for more on that.  Since I am moving to smaller quarters, proper organization of the space will be imperative.  I am starting small, as you will see in today's post.  But over the coming weeks and months, I will be sharing many more organization tips with you.  Today we are going to begin our organization project with a new pencil/pen box.


I found this beautiful navy blue fabric covered pencil box at The Container Store.  They had these also in grey.  I do not recall seeing them in any other color.  It was a toss up between the grey and the blue, but in the end, the blue won.  I think if the grey had been a darker shade I would have chosen it, but since it was a little too light for my taste, I went with the blue.


In case you are wondering, these boxes are from Bigso Box of Sweden.  You will see their website address on the card in this picture - www.bigso.se.  The Container Store has the full line of products in their stores and all of their storage items are beautiful and of very high quality.


So, here we have the pencil cup as it has been all these many years at Crest Avenue.  It served duty as a holder for pens and pencils, but also for index cards and gardening trimmers. 


I tried a couple different things.  First, I placed just two pencils and the pencil sharpener into the box.  Nice, but not a very efficient use of the interior space of the box.


So I removed the sharpener and placed inside the writing utensils I use the most.  A couple pencils, a couple blue ink pens (I do not use black ink pens), a Sharpie and a Permanent Marker.  These are essential to have easily accessible in the kitchen.  I am constantly making notes in the kitchen, so it is really important to me to have something to write with at my hand in the kitchen.


Into the cupboard with the box.  I have an idea with what to do about the pencil sharpener and the index cards that we will cover later.


As for the previous pencil cup, not to worry.  There is still a good use for that.  I placed the garden trimmers and the Chinese scissors inside.  I'll sit this on the shelf in the garden shed for the new owners since I will not be working in the garden once the move is done.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig