Shoe Storage

In our continuing efforts to improve our organization of everything, we have found a new and improved way of storing shoes thanks to The Container Store.  Take a look to see what we have come up with.


When I first decided to sell Crest Avenue, I started right away to get things organized in an effort to make the process of packing as easy as possible.  I had shoes in this closet and that closet and upstairs and downstairs - they were everywhere.  So I bought this rather inexpensive shoe rack so all of my shoes were together in one place.  This has served its purpose well, but I was looking for a more permanent solution to storing my shoes.


I did a little research online and found these wonderful, clear plastic shoe bins at The Container Store.  I decided to purchase five of them to see if they would work.  Oh, just so you know - you get a slight discount if you buy in quantities of five.  The more you buy the more you save.  But don't get super excited about the discount.  It's not that generous.  They sell for $3.79 each when purchased individually or $3.49 each when purchased in bundles of five.  I don't know what the percentage of savings is between those two numbers and it's not worth my time to try to calculate it.  All I know is that if you buy five of them at one time you will pay $17.45 plus tax.  If you buy five of them, one at a time, you will pay $18.95 plus tax.  So the end game is you will save $1.50 by buying five bins at once.  Enough talk about that.


So I got them home and chose five pair of shoes that are not worn very often.  I thought that would be a good way to start this project.  And guess what.  The shoes all fit in the bins perfectly.  These bins are made a little longer and a little wider to accommodate men's shoe sizes.  But never fear.  They have shoe bins for women's shoes and even children's shoes.  So there is a bin to fit everybody.


I wanted to share this picture with you of a close-up of one of the pair of shoes I placed in one of the bins.  You can see my thumbprint on top of the shoe where I wiped off the dust that had accumulated while sitting out on the econo-rack.  I don't like this at all.  The boxes will help prevent dust from collecting on my shoes so they will be ready to wear at all times.  I'll likely have them all professionally cleaned and polished once I make the move and then store them in these bins.


Here we are with the tops in place.  These first five pair were ready to be packed up and placed with the other moving boxes in the basement.


I am using these moving boxes from Lowe's.  They come in small, medium and large.  I know for certain that the small boxes come in regular strength and heavy-duty.  And you can buy inserts for the small and medium boxes to perfectly pack your glassware.  These boxes are very affordable.  Starting at under one dollar for the small size.  The inserts for packing glassware are a bit pricey, but how many of those will you need?  Not many.


Into the moving box with the first pair of shoes.


And a second pair on top.  The bins fit perfectly in the small boxes, so I will pack them up, two bins per box, until I have all my shoes packed except a couple pair that I will use until I get moved.  This is hoping that the house sells quickly.  But you will stay tuned for more on that.


The end game is to have some semblance of this in the apartment.  I don't really think I' reaching for the stars.  This is certainly doable.  Of course the space in every home is different.  I likely will not have these Elfa shelving units in the apartment, so that will change my layout somewhat.  But this is the general idea of what I'm going for.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig