A New Basket adds Additional Storage

We talked about this area under the vanity shortly after I moved into the apartment.  This is valuable space that could not be left unused, but we needed to be certain that we utilized the area in the most appropriate way possible.

This area needed attention.  In the end, we found the perfect storage solution and we found a more appropriate trash receptacle.
We didn't want to just store things here with no means of concealment.  Stacked paper towels and other household items would not look very nice just shoved under the vanity.  What would people think who visited and saw that we took no more care than that to set up our home.


After much searching, I found this wonderful lidded basket at Pottery Barn.  I did extensive searches on the web for a basket that would fit this area and I visited World Market thinking they would have the perfect sized basket for this area.  They did not.  They had tons of beautiful baskets, mostly round baskets, that would work in other areas of the home, but nothing that would fit here.  There is a plumbing issue in this area that needs to be considered.  The basket could not be more than 14" in height, and that was becoming more and more of a problem.  Fortunately, the height of this basket was perfect.  I was able to buy it online and pick it up at the store, which is a very nice feature at many retailers these days.


The lid on this basket is completely removable, that is, it is not on hinges, so you can just slide it off, place your items inside and then just lay the lid back on top of the basket.  I like that.  I prefer that because if it was on hinges, I would have to pull the basket completely out of this area, lift the lid to retrieve what I was looking for and then put it back in place every time I needed something.


You see here that the lid slides off.  I can grab a roll of paper towels and then place the lid back on top.  Very handy.


This works perfectly.  Additional storage and attractive.  I like that the basket is just wide enough to allow room for the trash can, so this area is now complete.  The basket is finished in a grey wash and that matches the colors in the bathroom and, indeed, throughout the apartment.  This is the Aubrey Woven Lidded Basket, on sale for $90, down from $129.  I know that may sound a little steep but baskets, in general, are rather expensive.  When you add in the lid, the extra work to incorporate the handles on both sides and the grey wash, $90 is not a bad price for this basket.  Pottery Barn has quite an extensive selection of storage baskets, so if you are in the market for one, I would suggest a visit to their website or to the store.  I'm certain you will find something to your liking. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig