The Classic Tomato Sandwich

It's summertime and there is nothing better than a tomato sandwich with a real summer tomato.  Tasteless pink tomatoes from the produce department will not do for this recipe.  You will need to find a roadside stand with fresh produce or maybe stop by a friends house who is a gardener and probably has more tomatoes growing in their back yard than they know what to do with to find truly good tomatoes.  Once you have your tomatoes, you will need white bread.  OK, I'll allow a multi-grain if you must, but Country White Bread is really the only way to fully enjoy this treat.


These are real tomatoes, ... that were grown in the earth, ... they have real tomato flavor.  They are not perfectly shaped.  They are real tomatoes.  I was lucky that I also found a yellow tomato.  I love them.  I love all kinds of tomatoes.  The yellows are a little less acidic but equally as good as the red.  I've never met a tomato I didn't like.


Country white bread is, in my opinion, the only way to go for this sandwich.  I like this bread for all kinds of sandwiches.  It is great for grilled cheese sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches.  It is just really good bread.


Mayonnaise one slice of bread.  I use Duke's mayonnaise because I like the flavor of Duke's more so than any other brand.  However, I will not insist on Duke's for this recipe.  If you prefer Hellman's or another brand, use that, but do not use sandwich spread with relish and peppers and all of that in it.  That might be fine for another sandwich, but not for a summer tomato sandwich.


Several slices of tomato are needed for a perfect summer tomato sandwich.  I put two smaller slices on the bottom and one large slice on top.  Liberally salt and pepper the tomato.


Top off the tomatoes with another slice of Country white bread that has also been dressed with mayonnaise and prepare to taste a little piece of heaven.  This is the best sandwich you will ever eat and I am happy to share it with you today.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig