New Oven Mitts

Every cook has a favorite pair of oven mitts.  They are essential in the kitchen, but, over time they will likely need to be replaced.  When the time comes to replace them you may find that you want to try a different style mitt like I recently did.


My new set of oven mitts are from Cuisinart and are designated as "mini".  I guess that is a good way of describing them since they only cover my hands to about my wrists.  They are quite different from my previous oven mitts which were more like welder's gloves.


This set of oven mitts extended well past my wrist and served me well for the past several years.  They are actually still in pretty good shape considering how often I am in the kitchen making one dish or another.


As shown above, there is this one stained area on one of the gloves.  I doubt that I have ever handled a pan that was so hot that it would do this kind of damage.  So I think we are safe in assuming that this is a stain, not a burn mark.  I have tried to get this out with not much luck, so I decided to get a new set of mitts for the kitchen and to use these for other tasks.  Maybe I'll use them for grilling.


As I said, these come just to my wrist, which I rather like.


The underside, where the label is located, is just for your thumb and is a little shorter than the upper side.


The inside of each is covered in plenty of silicone dashes and dots so you can get a firm grip on whatever you are moving around the kitchen, be it a sheet of cookies from the oven or a large pot of boiling water from the stove top.


Of course, they come two to a pack.  These are from Home Goods and in the $7.00 - $10.00 range.  They get the coveted "Margaret Drysdale Seal of Approval."  Although I'm quite certain that Mrs. Drysdale was not oft in the kitchen, she would only want the best for her staff.


Another thing we like about these mitts is that they store easily.  Here in the cabinet drawer beside the range where they can be accessed quickly and easily.

2 comments

gypsymaison said...

They look and feel very well constructed. They feel easier to grab and hold the hot pots and pans.

At Home with John Newman said...

That is very true. Very well made and they are much nicer to use in the kitchen than the larger oven mitts. I have a Tovala steam oven on the counter in my kitchen, which is smaller than the regular oven and these work perfectly for removing casserole dishes from the Tovala. Thank you for your comment.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig