A Portable Shrimp Cocktail for the Lunch Hour

Yesterday we made cocktail sauce.  The recipe I shared with you makes a lot of cocktail sauce, which would be perfect for a party.  You might want to set out a couple bowls in different locations or you may want to serve one large crystal bowl filled with crushed ice and shrimp on top of the ice and a large bowl of cocktail sauce in the center.  However, if you are not planning a party, but would just like to enjoy this cocktail sauce with shrimp during the week, here is an idea for lunch.  I have packed this for lunch and it was a nice treat at midday.  Read on.


Here we have the contents of a bag of small, salad shrimp which were frozen.  They have been thawed in the refrigerator, overnight, and then transferred to a strainer to finish the thawing process and to let any small bits of ice melt and fall through the strainer.  Once you are certain that all the ice has melted, lay them out in a single layer on paper towels, as in the picture above.  I laid an equal size section of paper toweling on top and pressed down lightly with the palms of my hands to help absorb away any additional moisture.


Once the shrimp were sufficiently dry, I transferred them to a glass bowl, which was already sitting atop the kitchen scales.  Be certain to place your empty bowl on the scale and then press the button to "zero out" the weight of the bowl.  Then add your shrimp.  I had ten and one half ounces of salad shrimp.


I wanted to take a shrimp cocktail for lunch each day that week, so I measured two ounces of shrimp per serving which would be enough for each day of the work week.


Using a tablespoon measure, I added three tablespoons of cocktail sauce to the bowl containing the two ounces of shrimp.


Just add the cocktail sauce directly to the bowl.


A quick stir, and I had a portable shrimp cocktail that could easily be transported to the office.


The shrimp with the cocktail sauce fit perfectly in one of these little plastic Ziploc containers.


A piece of flat leaf parsley for presentation.  Presentation is everything.  Even when packing your lunch.  You deserve to treat yourself to beautifully prepared food everyday.  Don't just save your presentation skills for company.


On with the lid and we were ready to go.  Keep this in the refrigerator at home and at work.  It is best served chilled. This recipe reminds me of the Sau-Sea shrimp cocktails I would ask my mother for when I was a child.


Even then, I liked shrimp cocktail.  These were, and still are, a fun way to have shrimp cocktails.  The idea is the same as our lunch recipe.  Inside, this little glass jar is filled with cocktail sauce and small shrimp.  We are doing the same thing in our recipe but in our own kitchen.  And at a greatly reduced price per serving.

I hope you will make portable shrimp cocktails for your lunch.  You will have the fanciest lunch of any of your cubemates!

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig