Everyday Is a New Day

That is certainly the situation at the new apartment.  Everyday I get a little something done that makes it seem more like home.  I am pretty much starting with a blank slate.  I got rid of all of my furniture when I sold Crest Avenue.  The same was true for other household items except for those items which were necessary to keep and could be easily packed and stored for a short period.  Here are some of the things we have accomplished so far.


One of the first things that needed to be addressed was suitable storage for paper towels.  At Crest Avenue the paper towel holder in the kitchen was affixed under the cabinets.  I am living the apartment lifestyle now and affixing anything permanently is frowned upon, and for good reason.  So I found this really beautiful paper towel holder from Ballard Design.  It has a matte black finish.  The base is nice and sturdy - very heavy - so it won't slide all over the countertop when you tear a sheet off the roll.  The finial on top is black wrought iron in matte black and lifts off so you can place the roll of paper towels on the spindle.  This is a very nice holder.  I was very pleased with the quality and the look.


The next most important thing to take care of was an appropriate waste can for the kitchen.  There is never a good place for the waste receptacle in the kitchen.  Even in modern day designed kitchens, I still see problems with where to put the waste receptacle.  I was fortunate at Crest Avenue in that, when I tore out the kitchen and redid it, I was able to design the new cabinetry so there was space for a trash compactor and another space for a waste receptacle in a cabinet that slide out and was slide back in and then covered by a door.  In an apartment you must get creative with the space you have.  So, I found this 7-gallon stainless steel can from Polder.  Nice clean design and it fit perfectly in the cabinet.  I will not have a trash can sitting out in the kitchen.


I was surprised, however, when time came to buy bags for it.  The choice is quite limited.  I might try online after these are gone.  The shelves of most all of the big box stores and chain grocery stores are lined with trash bags starting at 13-gallons and up.  So be prepared if you buy one of these cans to spend a little time searching for the right sized bags.


Into the can with a bag.  The 8-gallon size fit perfectly.  The can comes with this wonderful flexible band that goes over top of the bag to hold it snugly in place.


A very nice look and practical all at the same time.


Next we moved into the bathroom.  I already have the shower curtain installed, but no shower curtain liner.  I did not want one of the standard PEVA liners.  They always end up water stained and mildewy.  Plus it is difficult to find PEVA liners that are heavyweight, so they end up billowing around inside the tub when you take a shower.  No.  Not doing that anymore.  This grey-check liner was just the ticket.  It is heavyweight.  It has a weighted hem to keep it in place and to keep it from blowing around in the shower.  It is treated with an agent to ward off mildew from forming.  Perfection.


In my new apartment, the bathtub and commode are in a separate room by themselves.  The vanity and sink are located in an anteroom which you enter first from the hallway.  This building is very much mid-century architecture which, of course, is my favorite of all the periods.  I love these Febreze small spaces air fresheners and this will work perfectly in that small room.


Again, clean design and a simple and good look, but practical at the same time.


I have an obsession with toilet paper holders.  I absolutely cannot stand these white toilet paper spindles.  They drive me to distraction.


So I removed the white spindle and replaced it with this updated version.

 
A much nicer look.
 
So there you have some of the progress I have made in getting things in order for the eventual move in.  I expect to be in the apartment full-time by the first of the year.  

 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig