We Planted Paperwhites

I was in Home Depot over the weekend to pick up a utility knife.  When you first walk in they have all things Christmas at the entrance, so you cannot help but be intrigued.  I tried to keep moving but the display of Paperwhites caught my eye, so I bought a box of them.  I love Paperwhites.  I try to plant them every year during the Christmas season.  This year I am a little late getting them planted.  There has been so much going on the past few months with the sale of Crest Avenue and now the slow, but steady move to the apartment.  I really will not have a place for them in the apartment this Christmas, so I planted them and brought them to the office.  Take a look.


Doesn't the box make you want to buy these and get them in soil right away?  I love them.  I love the look and the fragrance.


Inside the box you will find a medium sized, plastic pot, the bulbs and the growing medium.


The growing medium, which is a very light, peat-like soil, is packaged separately from the bulbs.


It is rather easy to get the project started and completed very quickly.  Remove the growing medium from the plastic bag.  I placed it in the bottom of the pot, but if you want, you can place it is a large glass bowl or any receptacle you choose.  I find it easiest to just put it in the pot with a bowl underneath and then add 1-1/4 cup of warm water.  Start with that amount and see how it goes.  Let it sit for about 20 minutes.


After 20 minutes, the growing medium will have expanded to the approximate size you see in the picture above.


You may have to add a little more water if you find that all of the soil is not sufficiently moist.  That was the case with my planting.  I found these two sections of the disk that did not get enough water, so I added about 1/3 cup of warm water that I poured directly over these.  I let them sit for about 15 minutes longer.


Then, to thoroughly mix and incorporate the soil, I used a simple plastic fork.  This works wonderfully to get the soil loosened and ready for the bulbs.


Here, our three bulbs removed from the package and ready to be planted.  This is the simplest thing in the world.  Just place them on top of the moist soil, roots down and points up.  Work them into the soil a little bit so that about a quarter of the bulb is above the soil line.


Go back over the soil with the plastic fork to bring it up and around the bulbs and then water them in with a little room temperature water.

 
 
In a few weeks you will have a beautiful pot of fragrant Paperwhites that will brighten up any cold winter day.
 
I was anxious to get them planted, so I am not finished with this project.  A little excelsior needs to be added on top of the soil.  And I think a more festive pot is in order for the season.  Be sure to come back and see how we finalize this project.
__________________________________________________________________________________
 
Additionally:
 

I really like this black excelsior.
 
 

I think I will try to find this to put on top of the soil.  That will be quite a dramatic effect and it will look particularly nice with Paperwhites. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig