Door Mounted Storage Bins from The Container Store

How did we live before The Container Store.  I would venture to say we lived less organized.  Or possibly, less elegantly organized.  I love the store and all of their products.  Most recently I have been loving their door rack systems with the wire mesh baskets.  I installed one of these units on the back of my walk-in closet door and I will share it with you today.


Very simple system, but brilliantly designed.  It consists of a center support bar which is mounted to the back of the door either with anchors and screws directly in the door or with an over the door fastener at the top and bottom.  Since I am a renter these doors, I went with the latter installation for obvious reasons.


This is the over the door fastener that goes on the top of the door.


This is the fastener that goes on the bottom of the door.  The two work in tandem to get the center support bar snug against the back of the door.


This is a view of the top of the door fastener that goes on the top of the door.  You simply place this in the center of the top of the door and place the bottom fastener on the bottom of the door using the slots in the center support.


Once the support bar is in place and hooked on the top and bottom fastener, you use this allen wrench, which is included with the fasteners to tighten the support bar in place.  As you turn the wrench clockwise, the large screw in the center of the top fastener lifts the center support bar and brings the bottom fastener tight against the bottom of the door,  Once you have tightened the screw as far as it will go, you will have a very secure mounting system for the baskets.


I went with the large mesh baskets in white since the doors in the apartment are white.  These are very nice and quite spacious baskets.


I was able to get quite a bit of stuff moved to the baskets which had been strewn hither and yon throughout the closet.


Here I was able to get control of belts, a wallet, pocket square and three of my watches.


You can get an idea of how large the baskets are in this photo.  Those are full-sized rolls of paper towels in the top basket.  Three rolls will easily fit here.  The baskets come in varying sizes - small, medium and large.  They also offer the large baskets in a narrow size that will work perfectly in small spaces where the door opens onto a wall.  I will use the large narrow baskets on two other doors where I intend to add this storage system.

I used one center support, one set of fasteners and five baskets and it was just perfect.  If you are looking for additional storage space, which most of us are, you should definitely consider this Elfa storage system from The Container Store.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig