Shrimp Salad Spread

I have provided you with a classic shrimp salad recipe.  (See post dated 5/10/2018).  Today I am going to give you a shrimp salad spread recipe that is positively wonderful served on saltine crackers or as a lettuce wrap.  Let's get started.


Ingredient list:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon White wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Fresh dill
1/4 cup Red onion
3/4 cup Celery, minced
1 pound of large, cooked shrimp, shells and tails removed, cut into quarters lengthwise


Mix all of these ingredients, except the shrimp, in a large glass bowl in the amounts indicated.


Give the bowl a good stir to full incorporate all of the ingredients.


Now it is time to prepare the shrimp.  I bought a pound of large, cooked shrimp from the deli at my local Safeway.  I think in the future, I will drive across town to the wharf and buy fresh, uncooked shrimp and cook them at home for this recipe or any recipe including shrimp.  I am not a big fan of these pre-cooked shrimp from the deli.  They are cooked and then frozen, then thawed and placed in the refrigerated section of the deli. Shrimp that have been cooked, frozen and then thawed contain way too much water.  They are like little sponges.


Here is that same pound of shrimp with the tails removed.


I cut each shrimp into four parts, lengthwise, and added the entire pound to the dressing.


Then gave it a big stir to fully incorporate.


To take this from a "shrimp salad" to a "shrimp salad spread" we need to transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor.


Pulse the mixture eight to ten times to achieve the consistency in the picture above.  This is the perfect spreading consistency and would work perfectly for a brunch setup.  It is still a little coarse but perfect for any type of entertaining cracker or toast points.  I use saltine crackers frequently when entertaining because, ... well, ... I like them better than most of the entertaining crackers on the market today.  But use what you like.  We are concentrating our efforts on the shrimp mixture today.


Here is our delicious shrimp salad spread on a saltine cracker.  If I were serving these on a brunch buffet I would present a large bowl of the shrimp, on ice, with a serving spoon and place the crackers on a separate plate.  Each guest can then help themselves.  You would not want to prepare these ahead of time and have the shrimp mixture sitting atop the cracker for too long lest you end up with soggy saltines.


Here, a dollop, or two, of our delicious shrimp salad spread inside a lettuce leaf.


Enfold the shrimp inside the lettuce.


ENJOY!!  These are great for lunch on the weekends.  If I am at home at the lunch hour I will make a couple of these and enjoy them with a glass of ice cold grapefruit flavored Polar Sparkling water.  I would not suggest taking these for lunch during the week unless you packaged the lettuce and shrimp mixture separately and then combined them when the lunch hour arrived for a nice lunch at your desk.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig