A Little Outside Decorating

We are still relatively humidity-free here in Washington and environs.  I noticed a slight uptick on the hygrometer this past weekend, but still very low.  Comfortably low.  We are continuing to get the yard ready for the season.  And that means all areas of the yard, to include the porches, the patios and the deck.  You must not overlook these areas in the landscape.  A nicely manicured lawn is wonderful, but you do not want guests showing up on your doorstep with a messy and weather-worn welcome mat as in the picture below.


Such was the case at Crest Avenue.  I am not certain where I got this mat.  I have had it for several years.  I liked it when I saw it but it no longer works for me.  The design has become unappealing.  I grew tired of the black and grey pretty quickly.  And, as you can see in this photo, it was a great collector of, well, ... everything.  All those little nooks and crannies made this a bad choice for the front entry.  Indeed, a bad choice for Crest Avenue, period.  As you know, the landscaping at Crest Avenue is full of trees and shrubs and all manner of flora.  In the spring, and throughout the year, but especially in the spring there is a great deal of shedding as these plants go through their metamorphosis and prepare for another season.  As is evidenced above, a great deal of that shedding made its way to this mat.  It was constantly dirty.  But no more.


I picked up this beautiful new welcome mat from Lowe's.  It is from the Allen + Roth line of home goods which is sold at Lowe's.  They have the most beautiful things.  This mat is really beautiful, even on this porch which needs to be scrubbed and painted.  It will require maintenance because there are a few places where dirt will collect.  But not at all like the previous welcome mat.  I love the color choices.


Around back on the deck, we planted new Boston ferns.  Again, a Lowe's purchase.  These ferns always do well on and around the deck.  The deck is shaded by the bamboo grove.  The ferns love the heat, humidity, and shade.  It was time to get Franklin the Frog out and get him situated in just the right spot.  Tucked away here between the ferns was the perfect perch for him.


Here, another view of Franklin.  He is sitting atop a clay pot.  I think pink petunias will be planted in the little pot sitting next to him on the steps.  That will bring in nice color to the ferns and will continue our pink and white scheme for the gardens this year.  Pink and white and green remind me of the Beverly Hills Hotel.  One of my very favorites places.
As for seating this year for soirees, I have decided to go with these simple, plastic chairs.  Depending on the event, we can set them out as seen above or, for a gathering that needs a splash of color, slipcovers in brilliant colors and designs would look wonderful.  More on the slipcovers a little later. I need to go fabric shopping.  But I like the idea of having matching seating for everyone.  It's always a challenge and I am never happy with the hodgepodge of seating thrown together for guests.  This year we will fix that.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig