Some Time in the Garden

The past few weeks have been really beautiful here in the mid-Atlantic.  Every year I use these wonderful, warm spring days to get as much done in the yard and gardens as possible.  This is especially important here because in these early days the humidity has not yet set in.  Washington, DC and surrounding suburbs is positively unbearable once the humidity arrives.  So I have been busy and today I will share with you some of what has been going on.


It just wouldn't be spring with tomato plants in the ground or in a pot.  I love the smell of tomato vines.  Have you ever rubbed one of the leaves of the vine between your forefinger and thumb.  A heavenly scent.  And one I look forward to every spring.  So I picked up three tomato plants.


I have not tried the black cherry tomato.  I have planted black heirloom tomatoes in the past, but never black cherry tomatoes.  I had good luck with the black heirlooms so I thought I would give these a try.


I bought two Brandywine tomato plants.  What are Brandywine tomatoes?  They are in the heirloom cultivar.  The leaves are large, like potato leaves.  They bear large pink-colored beefsteak-shaped fruit which, in some opinions, are considered the best tasting tomatoes available.


I planted all three plants in a large planter filled with the very best potting soil.  The very best soil does not mean the most expensive soil.  It means that you have planted them in the very best soil that works in your experience.  But let me give you a hint.  Whether you spend a lot or a little for the potting soil, buy a bag of manure, which is very cheap.  Mix it in with your potting soil and then plant your tomatoes.  I would do about one-third manure and two-thirds potting soil.  You will be nearly guaranteed to have a bumper crop with this advice.


When you plant your tomato vines, plant them deep, deep, deep.  Some gardeners suggest planting a full two-thirds of the vine in the ground and leaving only a third of the plant showing.  I don't know that I plant them quite that deep.  I plant usually a third of the plant in the soil and leave the remaining two-thirds showing.  I have had good luck with that ratio.


Also, buy your tomato plants from the nursery.  Don't waste time trying to grow them from seed.  It never works.  I have never had any luck trying to raise tomatoes from seed.  And, if you were to start them from seed now you likely would not harvest tomatoes until almost Halloween!  Also, do not over-water your tomatoes.  They like to dry out a bit between waterings.  If you water them too much, the skin will split and ants and other insects will invade and you don't want that.


I have long wanted to plant some fruit bearing vines or shrubs or trees on the property.  My Altman grandparents had a small orchard on their property.  Crabapples, peaches, cherries, pears, concord grapes, just to name a few of the fruit bearing trees on their land.  My father planted our property with similar trees.  Cherries, concord and white grape vines, golden delicious apples, black walnuts and blackberry's were among our crops.  I loved eating fruit fresh from the trees in my youth and I wanted to be able to do the same thing again.  So I picked up these beautiful raspberry anne roots.


I planted them in full sun.  They must be in full sun.  And I planted them in a low-lying area in the back yard where the ground stays consistently moist.


Two roots to begin with.  We will see how these do.  I am quite anxious for them to become healthy, vibrant, fruit-bearing plants which will be such an addition to the landscape.  Remember if you add raspberry anne or any cultivar to your garden, all varieties begin to produce fruit in their second season.

So there you have it.  Our busy spring planting.  Of course, this is not all we have done.  So you will have to come back tomorrow and every day to find out what is going on.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig