A Walk through Behnke's Nursery

We made a trip to Behnke's Nursery in Beltsville, Maryland recently.  We love Behnke's.  They have the most unique and beautiful plants and evergreens and gardening supplies.  Things you cannot find anywhere else.  It is always a treat to walk through their greenhouses and outdoor gardens.  Scroll down to see some of the beautiful items at the nursery.


Such a pretty entrance to the nursery.  Very welcoming.


Here is a picture of Steven's back as he was admiring this beautiful display of yellow daffodils and other flowering bulbs at the entrance.


A close up of those same daffodils.  I got a little sun glare in the camera so these pictures are not as spectacular as the actual display was at the entrance.  But you get the general idea.  Someone spent several hours and/or days planting this and then tending it over time.  You don't just get a display like this without a good deal of time and effort.


Opposite the daffodil display, on the other side of the entrance, was the wonderful statuary.  So many wonderful things from which to choose.


My favorite was this cement cast hand.  Isn't that great?  I did not buy it, though I may return for it. When I see things like this that I was not expecting to find, I no longer "impulse" buy.  I will give myself a few days to ponder the purchase.  Where will it go?  Is it going to work in my design? Do I want to spend "x" amount of dollars on this piece of garden embellishment?  The hand by itself is $70.99.  The stand on which is sits is $30.99.  So,we are looking at $100, give or take, for one piece of sculpture for the garden.  I do not think spending $100 a season for a nice addition to the garden is extravagant.  I just want to make sure I have a place for it where it can be seen and enjoyed.  I don't want to put it somewhere nobody will ever see it.  Once I figure out where it goes, then I'll make a trip back to get it.


In another small planter at the entrance were these beautiful pansies with blown glass bird of paradise sculptures inserted in the pot on either side.  The glass sculpture in the middle I do not think represents any particular plant.  It is just a beautiful garden ornament.


Once you step inside you are on a visual roller coaster.  So many wonderful things to see .  We took our time and browsed nearly all areas of the nursery.  A great way to spend an early Saturday morning.


Among the many areas we visited was this corner of Talavera Mexican pottery.  Or at least I think it is Talavera.  If not, it very closely resembles Talavera.  Vibrant colors that will add gorgeous color to any garden.


I was particularly fond of the frog.  And check out this picture in the lower left corner.  See the little green lizard with the multicolored back?  I'd take him too.


More of the bright and colorful pottery.  This view with the various sizes of planting pots.  I think on the far right hand side of the picture that is a little orange burro's ear.


More pots stacked and ready to be purchased and planted.


On my flatbed, I had a flat of pink petunias and the three tomato plants we talked about yesterday.  I also bought some copper planter markers which I will blog about in the coming weeks.


And here are the pink petunias added to the while petunias I bought and planted a couple weeks ago. They are in a large terracotta pot sitting on the patio table in the back yard.  They will get lots of afternoon sun in this location and I expect they will be stunning by the first day of summer.

Plant petunias!  Let's make this the year of the petunia.  They are beautiful.  They are hardy.  And they are affordable.  You will need to deadhead them, but their beauty makes it worth it.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig